Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Does anyone store leaves for bedding? What do you put them in?

Last year, I filled about twenty paper yard bags with packed leaves. It was a lot of work. I'm thinking about using some bulk grain storage bags - those that are 4x4x4' or so. Has anyone tried anything like that? Or have ideas what the pros and cons might be?
I mix in straw and leaves in the fall, throw in more straw over the winter. Gets all dumped out on the field in the spring and is good stuff for it.

My coop bedding is a mix of straw and pine chips from TSC. I do deep litter so it is easy to fluff if when needed. It stays dry and odor free for the whole year. Once a year it all gets pulled out. run through the shredder and added to the compost pile. That pile then cooks for at least a year.

I have other compost that cooks a lot faster. I moved 6 yards of steaming compost yesterday to build a new bed up by the house. Come spring that bed will be incredible.

So we made it to Charlotte, NC. We drove down yesterday, one day, last hour was at 5mph, stop and go. :he:barnie 14 hours, should have been 12-13.

On the plus side, the new car gets good mileage, and gas is nearly a dollar cheaper here. On the minus side, the seats in the car are comfortable for about 2 hours. Then they pinch a nerve in my butt. I'll need to get some kind of seat pad/cover.

Freya did very well on the trip, and is being very good. :)

Hi lovelies, sorry tat have not posted much but I am keeping up on reading. Just many things going on with health, neighbor and overall everything. Hose is done being outside by the spout, just threw it by the ducks just to get it out of the way. However, it has been no fun with the quackies. They are fine, its the water situation that has me so worry and wrapped with anxiety. Too far to walk with a full 7gls jug to them and the ground is not covered yet. Have no clue what to do. A heated dog bowl can only last so long if they do not get clumsy to step on it and spill it or try to fit in it. They had gone out and the knuckleheads get in the pool like it's 80 when it is 35. I have done searches but nothing that I can afford or do ant work on this late in the game. There is 90% snow for tomorrow. I guess it is because I am close to the lake. Anyways, I love you and miss you all. Stay warm. At least @SallyPB is in the warm Carolinas,lol

You can use a wagon to haul the water jugs. When there is snow, I use a sled. The folks here with ducks can help you out. You see the wild ducks geese in the ponds and lakes as long as the water is not frozen. Heck, they're on the lake when it is frozen. Hope someone will jump in and help you out

A heated dog bowl can only last so long if they do not get clumsy to step on it and spill it or try to fit in it. They had gone out and the knuckleheads get in the pool like it's 80 when it is 35.
They should be fine. My geese take baths all winter long even if it’s below zero. Their outside feathers ice up but they stay warm.
C65D915C-5790-4781-96ED-ECB1CF193B1B.jpeg

It’s the wrong time of year, but if anyone is interested I have Two Spangled Russian Orloff roosters that need new homes. I hate to cull them because it took so much to actually get them but four in a coop is causing some unwanted commotion. I’m in the FAR north just before the UP.
07839698-6E5D-457B-A9EA-9C5D6B85F27B.jpeg

92A8871A-5A09-4A94-8FDC-3F9DABC29556.jpeg

You can use a wagon to haul the water jugs. When there is snow, I use a sled. The folks here with ducks can help you out. You see the wild ducks geese in the ponds and lakes as long as the water is not frozen. Heck, they're on the lake when it is frozen. Hope someone will jump in and help you out
I use a wagon to haul more than 2 water jugs to the coop. I keep at least 10 or so full in the house so I always have liquid water for the poultry. I also have extra drinkers that I can rotate out with the ones that freeze over. It's not the most efficient way of doing things but I always have liquid water for the poultry to drink. I also have a heated duck water fount made by K & H Manufacturing. It is deep enough for the ducks to clear their nares but shaped so that they can't dump it over. Once I put away the hoses for the winter, I put away the kiddie pool that the ducks use. Until then I will keep filling the pool for the ducks.

Water and winter cold is always more challenging but somehow we find a way. Even if it means extra trips to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom