Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Sad news.

My beautiful white Chantecler rooster, Snowbird, has died. I don't know what happened. I found him at lock up, already stiff.

Two days ago when the propane truck came, he ran out into the run, flapping his wings, ready to defend his girls. Today, he was sitting in his usual spot across from the nestboxes, keeping watch while the ladies laid their eggs.

I will bury him in the garden tomorrow.

Rest in peace, buddy. Fly high and free!
View attachment 3761954
What a handsome fellow.

Hi John! Sorry about your dad. Life is too short. Time flies and before you know it, we're the old folks. Did you see, Chickenstock is June 29th. Come to think of it, no, I haven't seen Dreamz on here lately. I'll have to text her and see how she is.
I did not see that, about Chickenstock. I'll make a note and check out the thread.

Everybody must be out planting flowers and mowing the grass
Not really. Starting in Oct we had that heavy wet snow storm that dropped trees like grass being cut. That said with all the things going on they waited till I got back and last week I started in. Massive willows 36" at the base landed in one of my fields and what a mes they made. My wife lost half of her weeping willow that I worked on yesterday - just won't be the same. A few huge apple branches and various other trees and limbs all over the place. Good workout for a couple of weeks. Not the usual raking of little sticks, lol. The silver lining is I'm cutting willow disks and using them as types of walking pavers for one of my more muddy trail sections. I do see lots of shoots coming up.

WE HAVE OUR FIRST GOOSE EGG!!!!

Today I noticed our goose missing and our gander standing in one spot outside the doorway of the igloo so I went out and found our girl Gizzy in the igloo nesting!! Then our wyandotte Wilma went in after Gizzy left and destroyed the nest lol. Then after a little bit I saw Gizzy was missing again so I went out with my phone and got this

Gizzy Nesting

She wasn't giving up. And I went back out just a little bit ago after about a half hour because I saw Gizzy out and about and we have our first goose egg! I've been looking forward to it since February!

So I'm going on a rant here!
Yet another Lyme positive deer tick on Thursday, so more antibiotics, again. Maybe I should use doggy flea and tick products on myself?! :he
And, also Thursday, developed a 'cold', and today tested Covid positive, third time, never super sick, but apparently I'm an easy mark for this bug. Without having all the vaccines, might have not lived through these episodes. Guess i should be wearing those face masks more often, again.
Rant over!
Lots of wildlife this year, many Sandhill cranes, love them! Are they loud? You bet! Never mind the 'quiet in the country'. And our next door neighbor saw a bobcat a couple days ago, along the fence between us, near our coop. May it concentrate on those bunnies and rodents, not our flock!
The coop won't have it's spring cleanout this weekend either, hoping for next weekend. It won't be me doing the deed either. I'd like to separate out breeding groups for spring, but not until everything is ready. Of course we have two broody hens right now, when it's too soon to have eggs for them!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom