Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

We used the ondura panels. They have special rubber coated screws that you tack them down with ( or was it nails?) Anyway, I have almost a whole box of those little suckers left. You are welcome to them, they are red.
wow! thanks for the offer! If you weren't 4 hours away, I'd completely take you up on it!
smile.png
Do you remember what the overlap is on the panels? 1 or 2 of the ridges? I'm trying to figure out how many panels we'd need since it seems that if we used the ondura we could skip the osb sheeting and felt paper and save over $100 versus a 35yr shingle and I don't know if I need 9 or 10 of the darn things! It seems/looks like it would be a breeze to install too. DH mentioned something about possibly siding the coop with it as well. Not sure how cost-effective that would be, but I've gotta look into that as well now.

Ingredients:3 quarts of water1 bar of fels naptha soap2 cups of borax2 cups of washing soda
2 quarts of boiling water2 gallons + 2 quarts of waterPreparation:First, using a food processor or manual grater, finely grate the bar of soap.Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil on the stove and slowly add the soap, stirring gently.Reduce the heat and let it simmer gently until all of the pieces of soap are melted/dissolved.Add the borax and washing soda and stir until they are dissolved.In a separate pot, heat up the 2 quarts of water or measure out very hot tap water.Pour the soap/borax/soda mixture into a large container and slowly add the 2 quarts of hot water to it. Stir until well mixed.
Add the 2 gallons + 2 quarts of waterStir until the mixture is well mixed.Let it sit overnight. It will "gel" together...kind of a custard-like consistency. I've also heard it described as "thick egg drop soup."Stir or shake the soap each time you use it.
This recipe makes 4 gallons ( enough for a month at my house)Use 1/2 c per load.
I store it in 1 gallon jugs, i recycle and its easier for me to handle
I have to make a batch this weekend, so if anyone wants to see how it's done first feel free to come by.
smile.png
how much water in all are you using? 2gallons +2quts? will have to try all recipes
Here is a picture of my two champion birds from last weeks fair.
VERY VERY NICE
thumbsup.gif

any one want to own up the goats milk soap I bought at CS???? it is very nice and I would like some more
love.gif

Its 1 QT shy of 4 gallons....

Dissolve soap and cook ingredients in 3qts
Add mixture to 2 qts of hot, hot water to make sure it doesn't look like egg drop soup.
Then the 2 gal + 2qts of water to finish

I use it as a pre treatment and washing soap... DH works for consumers and digs in the dirt all day. He comes home pretty gross sometimes. It gets his clothes so clean, I would never know he was in mud or nasty at all.

Thanks for the soap recipes. I'm going to try them when I run out of what I have.

Regarding front load washers...I had a repairman tell me that most people use too much soap to begin with. He said if you see sudsy bubbles in the window throughout the rinse cycle, then you are using too much soap. He said to use just one (1) tablespoon per load. He also said that HE was no different from regular laundry soap.

Also leave the door ajar when done to reduce that musty odor that front loads get.

GAAMPs meeting was interesting this morning. I'm working on a recap.

Thanks for the soap recipes. I'm going to try them when I run out of what I have.

Regarding front load washers...I had a repairman tell me that most people use too much soap to begin with. He said if you see sudsy bubbles in the window throughout the rinse cycle, then you are using too much soap. He said to use just one (1) tablespoon per load. He also said that HE was no different from regular laundry soap.

Also leave the door ajar when done to reduce that musty odor that front loads get.

GAAMPs meeting was interesting this morning. I'm working on a recap.
I would just like to say that once I accidentally used "regular" laundry detergent in my HE washer and there were bubbles coming OUT of the door and it caused extra rinse cycles AND it then locked up the codes.
th.gif
So I would beg to differ that HE soap is the same. lol I didn't use any more than I do with HE soap either...which isn't much to begin with.

Yeah.....I think it's called Ondura....or at least that's one of the brands. Not sure if it would be the best application since it gets sun all.day.long. in our location, but we're defiantly looking into that as well. I'd kind of like to NOT use shingles and install gutters and collect rainwater for the waterers, or for the garden, but the budget dictates what we'll use.

If it is ondura, the warranty claims life time, but they won't cover much, no labor and the paint, you may be lucky if it lasts 8-10 years..on the bright side, they'd be happy to sell you more paint which is very expensive.. I would strongly suggest you go with an architectural shingle, they're 30 yr warranty and very forgiving to install. I personally would not recommend Ondura for any kind of structure you want to keep long term.

Last edited:
I would just like to say that once I accidentally used "regular" laundry detergent in my HE washer and there were bubbles coming OUT of the door and it caused extra rinse cycles AND it then locked up the codes.
th.gif
So I would beg to differ that HE soap is the same. lol I didn't use any more than I do with HE soap either...which isn't much to begin with.
Powder or liquid? I use the cheap liquid found in the bachelor aisle.

How did we get on this subject anyway?

Back to chicken stuff. I'm up to 169 eggs for August. That beats July total of 166. I think I'll top 200 in no time.

Another suggestion for front loaders besides using VERY little soap (yes, a tablespoon at most) is to use Borax (20 mule team). Plus it cleans the clothes better and it is very good at eliminating man and fish odors.
big_smile.png

Raz

I blame snowflake for the laundry soap topic, then I kinda EGGED it on :lau
Then Vanessa got involved and Chicken Grandma asked for the recipe and few were posted.
I offered demos and all was good on the Michigan thread.

The end

Back
Top Bottom