Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

The most tedious tag time but you don't have to watch it like you would cooking them on the stove top.

Thank you!!! I will try that this week....never did sauce before but wanted to try it this yr
Let me share on how we have always canned our tomatoes-

when you fill the jars with cold tomatoes(or what ever you are canning... and do them in the pressure cooker, the contents tend to float to the top.....do you find that to be the case??   
do you puree the tomatoes skin and all??

You mean after the tomatoes have been canned? Yes, the solid stuff are on the top half and its just water on the bottom. I just shake them up, and it stays even til you use it. But we always pour hot tomatoes in the jars before putting them in the pressure canner, otherwise it will cause the jars to break inside the hot canner.

Yes, we puree the skin and all. I guess that my mom started doing it when she did not have time to peel the skin and take out the seeds when she had about 5 kids at the time, now its 9. lol

The skin pretty much melt during canning, I think.

Depending which kind of tomato you use, if you leave the peel on it makes the product more acidic tasting.
I know its all about personal preference, but I don't like it. I made chili with tomatoes canned with the skins on and it took me a long time to balance the acidity!!!

Does anyone what some poults? I have some for sale. I had an assortment of heritage poults from Porters, and I have picked out the breeds that I want, and need to rehome 6 poults. They are- 2 Jersey Buffs, 2 Regal Reds, 1 Black winged bronze and 1 Harvest gold. They are very healthy, and some are very friendly. They were hatched and shipped on August 13.

Please pm me if interested.

Depending which kind of tomato you use, if you leave the peel on it makes the product more acidic tasting.
I know its all about personal preference, but I don't like it. I made chili with tomatoes canned with the skins on and it took me a long time to balance the acidity!!!

We grow lots of different kinds of tomatoes, some of the "normal red ones" as my family calls them, and the heirloom kinds.(my favorite types) :drool I am a big fan of the heirlooms! :drool I save seeds from my favorite types. Our meals with homecanned tomatoes have never bother us in anyway, just the store brought ones, boy, they are nasty. :sick

Maybe I am not asking the right question, I have day old chicks coming either today or tmrw and I wondered if I could give her some to raise, slip them under her at night? is that even a viable option?

Her owner told me she was broody when we got her and I am pretty sure she hasn't laid eggs yet, do they lay when they are broody?
I wonder if he meant it as a personality trait more than a current state? Like silkies are more likely to be broody than other kinds? I don't know. I hope it works out for you.

On Friday I intend to use some romas for making stewed tomatoes. I will scald and peel them, then bake them in a large roasting pan until softened. Then it's just a matter of chopping them slightly to release so of the water, then ladling into hot jars with a slotted spoon so that not all of the water goes in. Then on to the water bath. Wanting to eat good sure is a lot of work.

Back
Top Bottom