Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Morning! It's chilly! We're not turning on our furnace to avoid sucking up the dregs in the tank that we let run down in the spring (fuel oil
sickbyc.gif
) so it's like waking up in winter. Hoping to get hooked up to propane before the real cold weather hits. In the meantime it's a warm robe and slippers... and a hot cup of coffee. Calling back the furnace guy today to get him over here, yes siree.

Good morning all :)

Headed out to the bank bright and early!!! Someone cashed a check they were already paid for. I'm not sure, but I believe that's some sort of fraud! ?!?

My turkey wanted to roost last night for the first time since the coyote attack. Poor thing has no tail feathers and a few wing feathers on one side so watching it try to fly up to roost was painful! I picked it up and put it on the deck rail. It seemed happy to be up high after 2 weeks on the ground.
I heard the coyotes way out back. I was hoping they wouldn't come into the yard since it was the turkeys first night out. It sounded like there were at least 5 or 6 out there. DH has his tree stand out that way. He wants to sit out there and wait for them to come up. For now I will settle for the 357 loaded by the back door and the 20 gage loaded in the garage. :oops:
If there's a whole pack, I can understand now why I don't have skunks and coons!!!

Another day is underway and as cool as it is this morning y'all better grab a cup of coffee with me before you head out to start your day.
Is there frost on the pumpkins yet?
It was a chilly 51 degrees here in the city. Sweatshirt weather.

I better finish getting that chimney installed so I can fire up the wood stove.

Good morning all and Welcome to the new neighbors
frow.gif

It seems awful quiet since snowflake came and took home most of my chickens. Only three left and they will be leaving soon.

RaZ, we had 40 degrees here this morning.
sad.png

Poor guy... His girl was sitting there saying "I told you so!" LOL
Good luck! Maybe my experience can help you a little.
lol.png
Yeah.....or something like, "come on silly! it's DARK! why are we still out here???" I think I need to put more Triple Ant. Oint. on his noggin today, but I'll probably need a second set of adult hands (not 4y/o hands) to help me with that, so hopefully DH gets home from work with enough time to help with that before I have to go to work. I'm thinking of putting his pullet buddy in there with him, and keep an eye on her for pecking. I can always put the divider into the kennel. I feel kind of bad that they are both in isolation right now (and that seems ridiculous to me to think that way.)

Your post, just before I went out there to put them up that night was the last thing I'd read, so I immediately had an idea of what to do.

Lovely picture! I like how unique EEs can look.

Another day is underway and as cool as it is this morning y'all better grab a cup of coffee with me before you head out to start your day.
Yes indeed! I'm pretty sure it's a 2-cup morning for me! 47 degrees when I got up. And tomorrow is a high of 81. *sigh*

I'm trying to figure out the ins and outs of this "mentor" tag system for white-tail season this year. I'd like myself of DH to take our 6yo hunting, and possibly shoot something. SPEAKING of deer, I need to get ready to go buy my doe tag! Leftovers go on-sale over the counter at 10am folks!

Caz... When you say hen... do you mean chicken or duck? Only asking cuz of your last statement about "lots of drama in my yard and the only 1 laying eggs is the duck! " I wouldn't want a drake in with my chicken hens...

I bought eggs last week. I bought eggs from a side of the road stand out in bfe-ville... My mom sold my last dozen eggs on me... She didn't know that she shouldn't.... Well anyway, I cracked these babies open and I was shocked... I will not buy eggs from that particular stand again. The eggs yolks were yellow... I know... I want them to be sunny! Nice and bright like mine. Not pale yellow... That color is only good for babies bedroom walls... Maybe I am just so used to my eggs being richly colored... The people claim that they are organic.... BUT they are clearly not free ranged like mine are. I say that, because I didn't see a single chicken in their yard. They have a corner lot, so, I get a view of both the front and side and back of the house when I take that corner... ANYWAY, I just really wanted egg toast... Mom knows not to sell the last dozen now...

lol.png
Yeah.....or something like, "come on silly! it's DARK! why are we still out here???" I think I need to put more Triple Ant. Oint. on his noggin today, but I'll probably need a second set of adult hands (not 4y/o hands) to help me with that, so hopefully DH gets home from work with enough time to help with that before I have to go to work. I'm thinking of putting his pullet buddy in there with him, and keep an eye on her for pecking. I can always put the divider into the kennel. I feel kind of bad that they are both in isolation right now (and that seems ridiculous to me to think that way.)

Your post, just before I went out there to put them up that night was the last thing I'd read, so I immediately had an idea of what to do.

Lovely picture! I like how unique EEs can look.
Yes indeed! I'm pretty sure it's a 2-cup morning for me! 47 degrees when I got up. And tomorrow is a high of 81. *sigh*

I'm trying to figure out the ins and outs of this "mentor" tag system for white-tail season this year. I'd like myself of DH to take our 6yo hunting, and possibly shoot something. SPEAKING of deer, I need to get ready to go buy my doe tag! Leftovers go on-sale over the counter at 10am folks!

I want to make sure I understand your comment about a 6 yr old hunting. I hope you meant, to tag along and see something get harvested by you or your DH, correct? I'm all for taking a youngster out hunting and teaching them about guns at an early age. I think the more they know, the smarter they are when it comes to guns, they're not a mystery like they are to a kid whos never been exposed to them.

I started target shooting at 8 rs old, but didn't actually hunt with a gun till i was 14 for deer cause that was the legal age, though I was going with my dad since I was 8.

Thanks for the reminder about doe tags... I forgot!! Though, we've never had a shortage of tags in my district.

Well, I guess the good thing about the guy not showing up for work Sunday, allowed me to finish framing and siding the front of the boys shed! All I have left to do is make the door. I think I'll put in a small window and pop door for the boys at the bottom. The board at the top of the opening was part of what I used to seal the boys in last night.

Last edited:
I want to make sure I understand your comment about a 6 yr old hunting. I hope you meant, to tag along and see something get harvested by you or your DH, correct? Otherwise, I'm all for taking a youngster out hunting and teaching them about guns at an early age. I think the more they know, the smarter they are when it comes to guns, they're not a mystery like they are to a kid whos never been exposed to them.

I started target shooting at 8 rs old, but didn't actually hunt with a gun till i was 14 for deer cause that was the legal age, though I was going with my dad since I was 8.

Thanks for the reminder about doe tags... I forgot!! Though, we've never had a shortage of tags in my district.

They changed the regulations for hunting this past year, so as long as we're on private land and have a mentor permit, DS *could* shoot a deer. (If I'm reading the new rules correctly?) He'll be 7 in the end of October. He's been tagging along with DH for the past 2 years, so he understands the basics of everything. We're not sure if he would even be interested in doing the actual shooting this year, or if DH and I would be OK with that. We need to talk about it, but I have to have a night off work for that to happen.
roll.png

We also have several neices and nephews who are getting into hunting, so having the mentor tag would also enable myself or DH to take them out into the woods to hunt since the nephews' parents aren't able health-wise, and the neices don't have 2 parents that hunt!

And with that, I'm off to buy some tags! They issue a lot of them where we hunt, but they still seem to sell out awfully fast.

Back
Top Bottom