Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grammi

Songster
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Rogers City, Michigan
I started over 2 years ago with 6 peeps. I am now the proud to be owned by 75+ chickens, I have silkies, cochins, barred rocks, red sex link, americana, golden lacedcochins, and 2 turkeys. I also have two house chickens, 3 cockatiels, a female golden retriever , and a 2 month old male border collie who is already herding the two chickens in the house. LOL My chicken keep me sane. We are raising two grandchildren. We live in the boondocks of Michigan, up north about 45 miles south of the bridge. Thought I had better start a Michigan topic!!! Gail

EeyoreD -
I love Michigan produce and tomatoes is one of my favorites! Roasting the tomatoes before using them makes the flavor POP!
droolin.gif

Here is what I do -
1, Quarter large tomatoes and halve roma tomatoes.
2. Lay them on a cookie sheet that has been coated with olive oil.
3. Then I sprinkle garlic powder on them and maybe a tiny bit of ground pepper and I bake them at 300 degrees for about one and a half hours and then check on them each 15 mintues until they are done to my liking. Usually it takes 2-3 hours before I feel they are dried/but not too dry. The sundried tomatoes in the store are too dry for me. I don't drizzle with olive oil (too greasy) and I prefer not to use salt.
4. After they cool on the cookie sheet, I layer the tomatoes on tin foil, place them in a tupperware and freeze. Then all winter long I reach in the tupperware and lift a layer of tomatoes on the tin foil and add them to my cooking.

Here is a great PASTA sauce idea.
Take onions in quarters, bell peppers in halves and tomatoes in quarters. Place on a cookie sheet that has olive oil on it. Sprinke with garlic powder (not salt). Bake for an hour or an hour and a half at 300 degrees. Remove the onions early if they are getting too crispy or dry. Place the roasted veggies in the blender with some fresh basil and puree. Add salt to taste. My kids won't eat jarred sauce any more...........

Last edited:
Some times it is easy to become self absorbed with our own issues and problems and we lose sight of how wonderful life is. Then you read of someone like Taprocks neighbor and you're reminded how fortunate we really are.

I think everyone is worrying unnecessarily about testing and the possibility of buying a sick bird. If a bird looks sick don't buy it. Then when you do bring new birds in don't introduce them into your flock until after a minimum of a two weeks. I don't have my birds tested and don't intend to. No testing will take the place of practicing good bio-security.

I personally would never spend money at a vet training to save a bird that can be replaced for $3.

I keep seeing pictures of newly hatched chicks. Those chicks going into a brooder while other eggs are still in the incubator. LOCK DOWN doesn't mean open it every time a chick hatches. LOCK DOWN means don't open it until all the chicks have hatched. Many hatcheries wait until day 23 before opening the incubator. You will lose vital humidity and heat when you open the incubator. Plus having chicks in the incubator making noise often triggers the slow chicks to hatch.

Years ago I was involved with a woman with two sons. The older had been in a serious accident and the resulting head injury had left him with learning difficulties. When they came to live with me I was dismayed to discover that his previous school district had him in only basic basket weaving courses. I insisted that he be placed in regular classes and we would help him as necessary.

His younger brother and my youngest son, both the same age, were in accelerated programs for gifted and talented students and both carried straight A's. As an incentive I had always rewarded my sons for good grades. $10 for making the honor roll, $5 for each A, $3 for each B, I would deduct $3 for a C, and $5 for a D. The first marking period poor Ian had all D's. I sat all three boys down as we went over report cards and after handing $35 to each of the gifted boys, poor Ian said I guess I owe you a lot of money.

I told him that obviously he didn't make the honor roll so he wouldn't receive the bonus for that, but that I felt his effort to achieve a D far exceeded the effort expended by the others, that I was proud of how hard he had worked, and so, he would be rewarded for his valiant attempt and handed him $20. With the realization that with effort he could overcome his dyslexia his sense of worth soared, as did his grades. The next marking period he received 4 C's and a B. His struggle wasn't easy and it took a lot of work and encouragement from his mother and I but he became a different child. By the end of the school year he was receiving all B's. The kid that a school system had resigned to mediocrity and had convinced his mother that he was unteachable ultimately graduated from EMU.

One of the greatest compliments I have ever received came to me second hand from his mother. One of his teachers had told the class that no one could teach you self confidence, that it had to come from within. He told his mother that it's obvious that the teacher has never met Sam. No child should be left behind, but it is up to the parents, not the government, to see that they aren't. Place expectations on your children but be there to help them reach those goals. Don't depend on a school system and think you have provided your child an education.

I chose to butcher mine when they are eating age. They are good for soups and stock, shredding for salads and tacos. I guess if some one wanted them for anything other than eating, I'd give them or sell em, but I figure, why give away a perfectly good meal that spent money and time on? 5-10 bucks from a perspective buyer... Well that does not cover my cost. But the cockerel sure will fill my kids bellies.

Hailing from southwest Michigan here. In the blizzard area. So very cold. I have 9 chickens, 5 bantam hens, Millie Fluers. They are funny. I also have a barred rock rooster, (Jack) a barred rock hen (Lucky), a buff orphangton (Buffy) and a Black Austrolorp (Sydney). I got them all last spring. So I am pretty new at this stuff. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Fairly new chicken owner in the Lansing area. Inherited about a dozen chickens of all different breeds that "came with the house" just over a year ago. Have learned a whole lot about chickens since then! Thanks for all the helpful info.
kitty928

I live in southwestern Mich too. I am best friends with Freebie, she doesn't live to far from me. I live in the city and can't have any chickens, so Freebie (Denise) lets be a part time foster parent to her birds. My username comes from one of her Barn cat kitties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom