Mid January Hatch thread....

Here's what has hatched:

The one on the right near the waterer needed to be assisted out. It's not doing well.

I have 14 more eggs in the incubator. 7 from the above group's setting (today is day 20, day 21 starts at 10pm) and 7 from the 2nd setting. I hope I get at least 20 chicks total from these eggs. 20 out of 36 isn't to much to ask - I don't think so, anyways.

Let the fun begin!! We have a total of 51 eggs in two incubators that are due to hatch this weekend. Already have some "earlybirds." Two Black Australorps and a Silver-Laced Wyandotte hatched last night (day 19). Soooo Exciting!!

IMG_4886.jpg

IMG_6759.jpg

This is all of them together.
IMG_9465.jpg

Man, getting them all to look at the camera is a chore! I did lose one of the chicks last night. It was the last one to hatch! I have three more eggs still in the incubator but if they don't show signs of hatching by the time I get home, I am considering them duds. I wish I had the stomach to do an egtopsy.

Last edited:
wee.gif

I love seeing all of the chick pictures!!! I especially love the baby poking its' head out from under mama, and the upside down EE. They area all so cute though! I'm glad everyone's hatch has gone so well.

My assisted chick is the one with the splayed leg. I'm wondering if that's why it needed help out.

This is only day 19 and I have six already hatched and about that many more pipped eggs. I have several breeds in the incubator and there are 4 yellow and 2 brown so it isn't just one breed hatching early. I am excited that they are doing so well zipping and stumbling around.

Last edited:
I have 14 eggs left in the 'bator. And now I am having incubator issues. I can't get the heat up and stay up. Either my wafer or my thermostat is crapola - this is a brand new incubator, this is it's first run. If I lose these chicks, I am going to be so furious.

On a "good" note, I have some rockers. This is my 2nd round on a staggered hatch.

I have 14 eggs left in the 'bator. And now I am having incubator issues. I can't get the heat up and stay up. Either my wafer or my thermostat is crapola - this is a brand new incubator, this is it's first run. If I lose these chicks, I am going to be so furious.

On a "good" note, I have some rockers. This is my 2nd round on a staggered hatch.

Did you move your thermometers by chance? I did once they started hatching because it was in the way, and it runs a full three degrees cooler down by the bottom...
idunno.gif

Did you move your thermometers by chance? I did once they started hatching because it was in the way, and it runs a full three degrees cooler down by the bottom...
idunno.gif

Yeah, but you are talking 3 degrees. I am talking 100 degrees dropped to 88 and would not come back up.

I have three thermometers in there, just to make sure they are right.
I changed my surge strip (just in case), I cranked the 'bator all the way up and I wrapped it in a fleece blanket. It's back up to 100 and I have two rockers/peepers for sure. This darn thing only needs to hold out for a couple of days - just long enough to let the strong ones hatch. Today is day 18, they usually hatch on day 19. I hope they come out tomorrow, because I am not sure how long this thing will keep running.

I also lost the two chicks I knew were having problems (36hr Chick and the yellow with the spraddle leg/was weak).

I am in for a sleepless night, I can see it now.

Here are a few of our new babies!! ANd MY new AWESOME brooder!!
woot.gif

Just some of our recent pics of babies... and just part of our awesome new brooder! I am gonna have to post before and after pics of the brooder I painted and am gonna decorate it like a nursery! Pink and blue and green like a babies room.

chick-among-us... your little peeps are adorable! And the idea for nursery colors for the brooder ~ too sweet! Yes to the pictures, please
droolin.gif

Reyvaughn.... its awful that a new bator would give you so much trouble
somad.gif
I guess I feel pretty lucky that my hand-me-down one worked so well... still sending you hatching wishes
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom