Miniature Horse question, am I wrong to be mad?

I was raised around horses and though I am a tad rusty on some of the horse lingo, I believe Open means they are ready to be bred. If it was just the fact she was pregnant and they admitted that maybe she accidentally bred, then I wouldn't put fault on them. But because they chose not to release the name of the stallion, nor did they try to work with you I would defiantly be mad. They were rude and unprofessional and I wouldn't not recommend them to anyone else. IMO

Thank you, RiverOtter, that was very helpful. I did check with registry and even though all breeding stock is DNA tested I would have to know stallions name and mare would have to be on stallion's stud report before they registered filly. They did check and she is not on any stud report. Unless she was busy playing solataire and just said that.
smile.png

I bought this mare in Sept last year and she gave birth May 1st, so she was not bred by my stallion.

Have you offered to pay the difference between an open mare and a bred mare? Sometimes, stallion owners just want to be compensated for the stud fee, and figure if youbwant the registered foal, you need to pay the stud fee.

Quote:
Appparently they are not like the Larger registries then, they would be all over the stallion owner for you.

I would be glad to have a healthy foal...regardless of papers or no papers....it was wrong of them to sell her as open and also wrong that they wont give stud papers to have her registered.And seeing mom take care of it ensures she will care for another.you should have no problem finding her a new home or keep her??

I would be hopping mad! Breeding/foaling out a mare is a HUGE risk! It's lucky for the seller the mare is fine - they'd have a bigger mess on their hands if this "open mare" died from an undisclosed (whether they knew about it or not) pregnancy.

The market for a highly desireable, registered, well-trained horse (the best circumstance) is depressed.

The market for a grade foal - of any kind - is even worse.

Most responsible horse breeders are not breeding grade horses in this market.

The O.P. is in a difficult position of sinking a fair amount of money into a horse that will not see the same financial return as a registered one of the same quality.

I hope the registry has a DNA file - if they do, you're gold. Prove the parantage and file a complaint if the breeder will not comply with registration.

Quote:
These are my thoughts exactly! You bought the mare as open, yes you happened to get a healthy foal, no way should you pay (as someone suggested) the difference between and Open Mare and Bred Mare, you paid for what you wanted. The breeder is irresponsible here . I own a stallion, if I sold a mare that I sold as Open, and that mare was in fact bred. I would be happy to add the mare to the Breeders Report, would cost me about $40 ($10 for mare and late fee) I want my stallions get out there and I want them registered!
I think I read that the registry does have DNA, simple enough to figure which stallion, DNA mare and DNA foal...... the results will tell the tale.

I am not into the mini world but have stood a stallion and bred many, many mares. In today registry world many are moving to DNA typing of all registered horses. Blood typing does not prove parentage just who is not the parent. If stallion reports are required of the stallion owner this is backup to match to submitted registry applications. Sort of a cross check so to speak. Unless the stallion owner wants to be friendly and sign the papers I doubt you will get anywhere. It's not the Registry's job to police horse owners. They offer a service and track data. It would mean a lawyer which I would think if you won anything would cost more than the foal could be worth in today's market. If you were planning on breeding to your stallion when did you have her checked by the vet to get her ready to breed to your stallion? Since she became yours in September and foaled in May I would think a simple palpation would have let you know then. Getting her so late usually indicates you were not planning on breeding until the first of this year at the earliest and would not be expecting a foal until 2012.

Possible options after the vet check at that time could have been to call the prior owner and let them know of the situation and see if they would take her back, exchange for another mare that was open (after vet confirmation) or.... give a possible opening to talks about what to do with the foal as you bought an open mare.

I don't know.. given how hard it can be to get mares pregnant and to delivery you may just have to chalk this one up to experience. You really got two for the price of one and it's early May.. prime breeding month. Move on, look forward and breed her now and you will possibly have a foal to register next spring.

Does the seller have a website? Check it out, you might be able to eliminate studs. Check an online
foal color calculator to eliminate possible sires as well. Ask a friend to call them feigning interest in breeding to their studs to
get more information. Find your receipts from day of purchase. Take photos of the foal and the mare and send hair samples
to one of the horse DNA labs. Again approach the mini registery armed with more information, photos and the dna report. Do
everything in writing. Write the studs owner, with an itemized list of costs to register this filly with and without their cooperation.
People make mistakes all the time. They are probably as sure the mistake is on your part as much as you believe it's theirs.
The biggest problem started when they refused to entertain the possibility they sold you a bred mare. One of their studs could
of hopped in and out of a fence they thought was secure. A family member could of messed up and not wanted to admit to
a breeding, who knows what happened. A DNA test and some simple elimination of possibilities would make this fight a little
easier. For example a chestnut crossed with a chestnut will be 100 percent chestnut, but bay crossed with bay can produce
black, chestnut or bay. That said there are chestnut looking horses that are really genetically something else, but if you know a
red dun from a chestnut or champagne you should be able to use the calculator and figure out which stallion did what. The sellers
might be willing to send in a hair sample at your cost initially. www.horsetesting.com/CCalculator3.asp

Back
Top Bottom