Miniature Horse question, am I wrong to be mad?

When you buy a mare that is guaranteed to be open, have a prepurchase exam done and have the vet doing the prepurchase exam, check the reproductive status and health of the mare, so you can verify that the mare is open.

This happens a lot. A good many people don't do a real good job of keeping their stallions away from their mares.

If you don't get a prepurchase exam and a reproductive status check, you can pretty much guarantee that if you want the mare to be bred, she won't be, and if you want the mare to be open, she won't be.

Your mare was not what was advertised and sold to you. I would send a registered letter to stallion owner and promise to take them to small claims court to get her papers. A lawyer that specializes in equine law should be able to help you. If you don't go after them they will continue their dishonest business practices. I am so sorry this happened and yes a healthy foal is a nice surprise but this could have gone very differently.

If you do not have the words 'Non pregnant mare' on your bill of sale, probably no grounds in court. This happens very often.

Always get mares checked for pregnancy immediately before they are delivered to you, hopefully that is very close to when you buy.

What a big old pain for you! I'm sorry! I don't know what the mini market is like right now but this is not the economy in which I would want to be trying to sell a foal with unknown lineage and no papers.
I like RiverOtter's advice.
Personally, I'm appalled that a "breeder" would not know the pregnancy status of a mare on their farm. It's just more proof to me that any idiot can hang out their shingle and set up business as anything they want, regardless of their level of inexperience or incompetence. Yes, I know how stallions are and I know that they can and do get loose and unintended matings happen. However, when you find the stallion where he shouldn't be, that would be the time to keep an eye on the mare(s) he has been with.
If they didn't know that the mare had been bred and they sold her, they are neglectful. If they did know there was a chance she had been bred and didn't check it out or let you know, they are dirtbags.
I'd be cranky.

I think they intentionally did this and not only to me but I have been contacted by another person that bought a mare from them and she said, "good luck getting papers". They said on the phone that their stud fees start at $500, so to me it's like they knew she was bred, knew they were selling her to someone that was very picky about papers, sold her as open, and then want a stud fee before they release papers.
I'm sorry, that is dishonest and I think I have a very good case in court. But.. I will give them a chance to correct the problem before I resort to that.

Here's a picture of her.
big_smile.png

61077_lexie.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I'm not getting it. You paid for an open mare, and got a "free" foal out of the deal, and you're upset? I'm confused.

Quote:
I totally understand this, the Horse Market is in the dumps, registered foals are now selling for what un-registered foals sold for a few years ago. IMO, this farm is irresponsible, yes sometimes "things" happen, but as a stallion owner you have a responsibility to maintain and control that animal. I am a stallion owner, while he would love to breed my Appaloosa Mare, I can't allow that to happen. Even though both parents are registered, the rules of the registration of the mare, would not allow the foal to be registered. This is part of my responsibility as a Responsible Stallion Owner. I know the dates when each of my Mares is bred. It is my responsibility to maintain pastures, barns etc to prevent unwanted or unscheduled breedings.
If I bought an "Open" mare from someone, I would not think about getting a vet to ultrasound or palpate that mare, I would trust that the seller was responsible.
Now, in light of having another person contacting OP, I would have to assume, this is a possible "scam" , it is sad that there are unscrupulous people everywhere.

OP, I think you have every right to be upset and angry about this. You have lost precious time to breed your mare to the stallion of your choice. You have a foal , that at this moment is not worth much, whether or not you plan to sell it. I am surprised the Registry would not back you up on this, that really disappoints me, I am a member to 4 different registries, and because I pay my membership dues every year, I expect them to "go to bat" for me when I need it.

I am sorry you are having to deal with this. I would definitely look at taking them to court, I think you are well within your rights to expect papers for the foal.

BTW, I have a Breeding Stock Paint Mare, she is slated to go to a new home once her current foal is weaned. I asked the new owner if he wanted me to breed her to my QH stallion, it is pretty obvious that the resulting foal will be a breeding stock foal. New owner said, they did want her bred, this keeps them from losing a year on this mare having a foal, since it will be late in the year when they get her. I am more than willing to do that and we have worked out an amicable agreement for this. Not all stallion owners are idiots.

Take them to small claims court (pun intended). Seriously, an open mare means "not in foal". You have suffered a loss. Now you get to breed her back on her foal heat, if she is in good enough health. Figure out your expenses on this foal, since it is not worth as much unregistered. All vet bills, feed, training, and the like versus the amount you can sell her for----which isn't much in this economy.
Once the seller understands you are serious, they may just let you DNA and then register the foal.
Good Luck! Slinky

Back
Top Bottom