Minimum chick quantities at TSC, RK or online

Beetlejuice

In the Brooder
May 1, 2018
Southern Indiana
I went to play with some chicks at Rural King last night and I noticed that their minimum purchase quantity is 6, it looks like TSC is 10. When I come to buy, I can only have a maximum of 4 so has anyone purchased less than 6 or 10 at these stores? I'd prefer not to buy online as I personally don't like putting chicks in a box for 24hrs and shipped and possibly mishandled.

True, but at least at the store i can take them home right away :) Are there any hatcheries online then that will sell a min quantity of 2 or 4?
My Pet Chicken will do three once the weather is warm enough where you live.

If you’re close to another TSC, especially in another state, check their minimum. Here it’s only four.

Another alternative is to stand there until you find someone else buying chicks. Explain your situation and pay them to buy your 2-4 for you along with theirs. I’d be happy to do that for someone.

True, but at least at the store i can take them home right away :) Are there any hatcheries online then that will sell a min quantity of 2 or 4?
Thete are quite a few hatcheries that will although u may want to be prepared for extras used as "popcorn"

At my TSC it depends on who the manager on duty is...one says 6, the other says four, and if they get older and unsold...2

My RK says minimum of 6 on the signs, but they will let you buy 2 or 3. Also- I saw that Hoover's Hatchery is selling started pullets (6-8 weeks old) with a minimum order of 4. They had several breed options too. That may be a good way to get your 4 and be more sure that you are receiving pullets!

You could always buy 4 pullets from the pullet bin ad then grab a few cheap cockerels to add in. That way you can meet the amount and then have some roast chicken in the future, out of the extra cockerels you bought, if you so choose.

The splitting it with someone else idea is also a good one!

If you’re close to another TSC, especially in another state, check their minimum. Here it’s only four.

Another alternative is to stand there until you find someone else buying chicks. Explain your situation and pay them to buy your 2-4 for you along with theirs. I’d be happy to do that for someone.

Good point, thank you.

Thete are quite a few hatcheries that will although u may want to be prepared for extras used as "popcorn"

At my TSC it depends on who the manager on duty is...one says 6, the other says four, and if they get older and unsold...2

My RK says minimum of 6 on the signs, but they will let you buy 2 or 3. Also- I saw that Hoover's Hatchery is selling started pullets (6-8 weeks old) with a minimum order of 4. They had several breed options too. That may be a good way to get your 4 and be more sure that you are receiving pullets!

Given that city ordinance where I live is 4 max (boo, but will only be here 5yrs), I'd have thought they would allow a sale of 4. That's another good point though, are TSC/RK chicks not sexed?

You could always buy 4 pullets from the pullet bin ad then grab a few cheap cockerels to add in. That way you can meet the amount and then have some roast chicken in the future, out of the extra cockerels you bought, if you so choose.

The splitting it with someone else idea is also a good one!

A good idea if roosters were allowed where I'm living, sadly not.

Done this before, I talked to some people that were buying their minimum chicks in the store and I piggy back 2 on them since I only wanted 2 to add to my other chicks I previously bought couple of weeks before.

Back
Top Bottom