Minimum order questions!

PoultryAddict 1

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2017
Melbourne Florida
Hullo,

I currently have 3 chickens and 2 ducks, and previously had 10 bobwhite quail.
at that time I was in Pennsylvania so I just bought them from a game farm where
people used them for hunting, sadly they got eaten by a weasel, and now I find myself wanting quail again!

However the minimum order for most hatcheries is like 50, and I simply want 20 or so and keep some for eggs, eat some for meat. Does anybody know of a hatchery that can ship 20 day old chicks? ( I'm going to go with Jumbo Cortix.)

Thanks! Quail are amazing critters.

I have delt with the "funky chicken farm before"
I could talk trash about it for HOURS,
but in short,

Its not a good place.

Thanks for the suggestion thou!
All the farms by us suck.

Last edited:
Well that is too bad, for many reasons!

I am curious, though, if it was the facility conditions, quality of birds, customer service... though you don't have to say anything . You have to be careful what you say these days, from what I've seen on Judge Judy lol

craigslist typically has many people selling quail for around 2-3$ per day old chick. Again, not the cheapest, but you know the chick is going to be alive by the time it reaches your home

I started my little flock purchasing eggs off e-bay and hatching them. the hatch rate was not very good but it gave me a base to start with.
The foam incubators , if you don't already have one , do not cost that much.

Just a thought. :)

Good luck and have fun with it.

Jay

X2 on looking locally. Coturnix are easy to keep and breed, but don't ship well, so a local source is perfect. If you are not able to find any locally, I would suggest getting eggs (James Marie is very reputable and ships eggs that arrive and hatch well for me). If you can't find them locally, that means there is a great opportunity for you to be that local provider for other people. You won't get rich. but it can make you hobby pay its way.

There is a Florida Quail Breeders group on Facebook you could join. Should be able to find someone within driving distance of you.
If you're coming through Atlanta, I could set you up with some Coturnix.

Back
Top Bottom