Minnesota!

you might already be pulling the water out at night when they go to roost - to lessen the moisture in the air.

I imagine you have a nice, deep layer of hay for the silkies to nestle in when they are sleeping.

When they tuck their heads under their wings,you get frost on the wing/back - just like if you are out in the cold and breathing through a scarf.

frosted windows are a sign of too much moisture, but it has been such high humidity it is hard to tell! I wouldn't cover the poop door, instead try to make a barrier for the drafts if you could - a hay bale, or heaped hay, or even a cardboard box

I'm half mad at myself for adding the heat lamps, and from reading the alaska thread I don't think I need them.

I think if I had a dozen or more chickens I would forego adding heat, but since my city only allows 4 hens there just aren't enough of them to huddle together to add warmth. So, I'm going to bring them into the garage. I expect the garage will only stay about 20 degrees warmer than outside anyway, but it looks like that's the difference between -25 and -5.

Deceiving how nice it is outside right now....

:welcome and the Minnesota! Thread.  ...and your new favorite form of Social Media!  LOL.  There is a mountain of information on threads throughout here.  Breedwise I know egg layers...I think healthwise for your chickens and since we're in the middle of it...look for cold hardy breeds...ie small combs that can't get frostbit.  You  can probably type in the search box "Dual Purpose eggs/meat" or whatever and find several threads.  I think MinniechickMomma has some buckeyes that are good dual purpose and heritage quality too.  Once you've decided on your breeds start looking at the coop pages on here and find your style of coop.  Keep in mind 4 square feet per bird to avoid pecking issues in the coop and 10 sq. feet in their run if they won't be free ranging.  Consider keeping a good natured Roo if you are deciding to free range. I would get the coop built and secured before even getting the chicks as they grow fast.  Coop considerations to make your life easier--Good ventilation is a must, draft free, easy to clean.  Consider poop management interventions...ie poop boards or sand to collect excrement while they are roosting.  If you are a gardener your new source of fertilizer will have you smiling ear to ear with the results.

Start digging in.  It's a bit to prepare for but you'll never regret getting into this fun adventure which is chickening.

To me it sounds like you may need more ventilation if you are getting frost on any of the birds. I keep mine in a old dairy barn that is drafty. I do make sure the drafts are of the birds, the best I can. I only have heat lamps on the young and those in a hard molt. I too use heated dog dishes. I had problems with frostbite and lost a rare rooster plus some toes. This winter is very hard to deal with. I have had to combine a few pens to decrease the moisture from the dog dishes. Also had to add a lot more shavings to help as well.

This of course is my opinion and experience so far. Good luck to you and your chickens. Of course you need to do what you deem right for you.

Bogtown, I have a friend whose dogs stay in a kennel while she is at work - it is heavily insulated, packed with hay and there are two heat lamps in a complicated wire cage to keep the dogs from hitting the lamps while they are wrestling. WIth the wind and cold temps, it isn't as warm as she would like for the dogs, I showed her your posts about the flat heater, and she has ordered one as well! you are starting a trend!

I am adding a heat lamp to the other half of the coop for this upcoming -30 below air temps. It won't do much but add 5 or 10 degrees to the air...
Isn't that awesome!? I saw these radiant heaters recommended instead of heat lamps on a popular chicken blog...and just thought they made sense safety wise. Certainly $39 is worth the peace of mind for me and my beloved birds, hobby and the coop I spent so much time building. I literally said prayers each morning I woke up hoping that coop was still in tact with those heat lamps on those bitter nights last year. And there were plenty last year too! Watching threads from experienced chicken people telling of their fires....I just worried about it too much and was relieved to find this alternative.

For those still using heat lamps make sure they are triple secured in different spots on the Lamp. And be sure you are using a quality power strip, watch for water and shorts at your connection sites, Chicken wire around the bulb area -- they are known to have the socket and bulb fall through the lamp portion. Double check these things every day you use the lamps. Make sure they are out of flapping wings' way.
old.gif
Oh I'm such a nervous Nelly....LOL.
fl.gif
You all be safe and warm these next few days!

Hello,

With the extreme cold nights we will be having here in MN over the next few nights, I'm wondering what I should be doing to help the chickens. I have Polish, Brahama, Rhode Island Red, Silkie and Mille Fleur chickens and they have not had any heat yet, just the heated waterer. The coop is not insulated, has three windows and two pop doors. It has vents under the eves of the roof, but with the heated waterer, the windows frost up and the Silkies in particular get frost on their crests & backs even. I am using the deep litter method. They have been laying some, but not all of them are laying.

What do you think I should do? I can certainly put heat lamps out (I'll be sure to nail them down or even install the ceiling fixtures to avoid a fire). I was also thinking of covering the pop doors with something as I'm sure they are drafty and the Silkies are on the floor.

This is my first winter with chickens, so I'd love to hear what other Minnesotans do when the daily highs are below zero?

Thanks!

Heather
First, OPEN A WINDOW!!! You are allowing moisture to build up in there if there is that much frost and moisture is NOT you friend. They need it DRY! If you have an east facing window, open it and let that moisture out. Hopefully, even though you don't have insulation, you have solid walls that won't allow drafts. I would say the one breed you have with the most to lose in the cold is the RIR with the large, single combs. I went against my own advice today and put a heat lamp over one pen of Silkies. The reason, I have a hen in that pen and possibly a second who decided they would avoid the trend and molt in January instead of September or October. I have an open-air coop, so it won't do much but allow her and a couple friends to take the chill off in the corner pen.

Good luck, Heather!

Thanks Minnie and Bogtown. You both are thinking the very same as me. Since I lowered the moisture from the dog dishes I have not had any more signs of frostbite. I make sure that I have the west end door cracked open and the south door wide open every day unless the wind comes from the south. Good luck Heather, if you have questions just post them. Makes no difference what kind of question, they all need to be asked so they can then be answered.

Isn't that awesome!? I saw these radiant heaters recommended instead of heat lamps on a popular chicken blog...and just thought they made sense safety wise. Certainly $39 is worth the peace of mind for me and my beloved birds, hobby and the coop I spent so much time building. I literally said prayers each morning I woke up hoping that coop was still in tact with those heat lamps on those bitter nights last year. And there were plenty last year too! Watching threads from experienced chicken people telling of their fires....I just worried about it too much and was relieved to find this alternative.

For those still using heat lamps make sure they are triple secured in different spots on the Lamp. And be sure you are using a quality power strip, watch for water and shorts at your connection sites, Chicken wire around the bulb area -- they are known to have the socket and bulb fall through the lamp portion. Double check these things every day you use the lamps. Make sure they are out of flapping wings' way.
old.gif
Oh I'm such a nervous Nelly....LOL.
fl.gif
You all be safe and warm these next few days!
I know, I worry about the heat lamps and fire too. I made sure the dust is off the bulb, the shield, and the socket, and there is a backup wire fastening them to the hook just in case, and duct tape holding the wire onto the hook. I will be unplugging them again after this cold wave on monday. Even with two lamps in a 20' long coop, which is insulated, it was only -5 inside the coop this morning. I have two windows on the south side open for ventilation.

I hope you keep us posted on how the radiant heater is holding up - if yours lasts ok thru this winter I will likely reconfigure the coop to provide wall space to hang one next winter.

Well, so far so good. It was -1 in the coop even with1 heat lamp & almost closed up.open it up again this morning but left the lamp on so they have a place to go warm up. Made a batch of rice pudding this morning for the household & chickens. They liked that. My alpacas are fairing well too. They like the fact that they are getting grain. Haven't had to blanket anyone yet & ears look good still. I went down about 4 times yesterday to check in everyone, I can't do that today because I have the grandson. I spent Fri & Sat getting ready, and cross your fingers it pays off.

Anyone starting to plan their garden yet? Does anyone let the chickens in the garden?

My coop was -10 this morning with radiant heater and another 150 red bulb. They huddled under the 150 watt bulb.

Aussie: I got a few things that work well in the garden and somethings that don't up here. So I have my "stand-bys" that I plant and no extra planning is needed for me...LOL. With the addition of chicken manure last summer though...I have to say the results were above par and I could maybe think outside the box this coming year...
wink.png
Once my plantings are up pretty good. Beyond being plucked out by a strong beak. I'll let birds in to paruse for bugs once or twice. They like the cover of the taller sweet corn. Plus I only let them in while I'm in there so I can keep them away from my tomatoes or kick them out once they get focused on the tomatoes...whatever it may be. Then in the fall once all is harvested. The garden gate is open for them to trash the place. (Work their magic composting ways.) They are fun to have around in the garden though. Cuties... They keep me company while I'm weeding.

Back
Top Bottom