Minnesota!

My garden is next to the house (gets afternoon & evening sun) & chickens are down in with alpacas about 100 yds over a hill away. I was thinking of getting them closer to the house, but i would need to put a new coop about where I want to move the garden just down hill from the house. (my house is ON the hill so everything is up, down or over a hill). Think, Think, Think....

It's cold out, my brain needs something to do while teaching a 2 yr old to play basketball. :))

Hi! We're in the Anoka / Ramsey area. Got one indoor chicken this winter with 2 peg legs due to frostbite (trying to decide whether to try prosthetics or see if she'll adapt to no feet). The rest are fine in the cold so far.

Hi Knechtel, you're close to me, I'm in Nowthen. That doesn't sound good.

Had to laugh when I found the stuff that that older grand kids were working on yesterday, a chicken wish list. Can't say I blame them. They have some good breeds, Buckeyes, Welsummers, Jersey Giants (black & white) Icelandics, Easter eggers, Dominics. I would have to add Chantaclars, SFH, & barnvelders. I think I've ruined them for life.

I didn't think it was going to happen because our coops are pretty nice, but ALL of my Red Stars have frostbite on their combs! :-( They are the only breed I have with a single comb. I can't do anything about it. How long before it falls off? I heard it will not re-grow?

Hi Knechtel, you're close to me, I'm in Nowthen. That doesn't sound good.

Had to laugh when I found the stuff that that older grand kids were working on yesterday, a chicken wish list. Can't say I blame them. They have some good breeds, Buckeyes, Welsummers, Jersey Giants (black & white) Icelandics, Easter eggers, Dominics. I would have to add Chantaclars, SFH, & barnvelders. I think I've ruined them for life.
You have not ruined them, you have given them a leg-up on how to raise their own food and how to be good stewards of land and creatures. Those are all excellent breeds, if I do say so myself ;)

I didn't think it was going to happen because our coops are pretty nice, but ALL of my Red Stars have frostbite on their combs! :-( They are the only breed I have with a single comb. I can't do anything about it. How long before it falls off? I heard it will not re-grow?
It does not re-grow. They will have a smoother comb now. Let the scabs fall off though. I have found messing with them just causes bleeding and more damage if it is still cold. I have a gorgeous Partridge Cochin rooster who I dubbed "Blade" since that is all that was left of his comb after last winter. I have Minorcas and their combs are huge, but they are also thick enough that they have sustained the least amount of frostbite this year. My New Hampshires and Welsummers have not fared even nearly as well, the males at least. Even those hens with smaller single combs who have made it through one or two past winters have gotten some frozen spikes and they have been inside, out of the elements since early November.

Ive got New Hamp hen and RIR hen showing signs of frost bite on their combs (2nd winter for them) So I did put on some bag balm on their combs last night for extra "protection" -- skeptical in it. Well it seems to have kept them protected from further damage. They both look good and the balm seems to be still on the combs. Like the colder it is the more it is waxy and stays on --unlike worthless Vaseline.

Hmmm ....sorta impressed, here.

I was reading about the deep litter method and I don't see how it's even possible in MN because the shavings and poop on the floor are frozen rock hard. I guess if it's frozen it can't hurt them. I couldn't clean it out if I wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom