Minnesota!

Thanks, Pam! I will probably get in touch with you in the spring, or you could let me know when you have the BCM eggs available. I would prefer getting them from you hatched, because I don't have an incubator (yet).

I know the Oronoco area - I went to college with a friend from Zumbrota.
big_smile.png

Thanks for the heads-up, Pam!

Last edited:
Hey! If anyone is looking to de-flock send me a message- I'm looking to add a few hens before it gets too cold for my isolation pens (which aren't as weather tight). I'm kind of picky just in that I don't want anyone's surplus sex links or leghorns- I'm looking for good quality dual purpose birds, preferably heavier ones.

ALSO I would like to make contact with poultry breeders near me, because if I don't find any to add this fall (or even if I do...) I will be adding chicks in the spring and it would be nice to add from a breeder instead of a hatchery. As I mentioned above, I'm looking for good dual purpose birds- I don't care if they're purebred at all, but I don't want chicks from someone who just breeds willy nilly, either. I want chicks that are purposely bred for size and purpose.

And just generally would love to connect with other chicken lovers in the area!

Okay, I came to the MN thread because I KNOW that someone here will be able to answer my cold weather question!!

I just got two fully feathered pullets (about 3-4 mos.old) . They were living in a climate that reached 42 degrees. It was 33 here last night.
Can I put them outside in a dog crate in a protected run? I was going to throw a blanket over it except for one side so it can get ventilation.
OR should I put them in the garage where it stays an even 68 degrees. I'm thinking the garage is too warm and they'll never acclimate to the
cold. Thanks, I need to get them out of the car and have 30 mins. before it gets dark.

Quote:
I am assuming that they did not have a heat lamp from their former home. Yes, outside in a dog crate within a protected run with a blanket thrown over (except a portion for ventilation) should be just fine for them. They are amazingly resilient. Definitely better for them to acclimate to the cold sooner rather than later.

Quote:
I am assuming that they did not have a heat lamp from their former home. Yes, outside in a dog crate within a protected run with a blanket thrown over (except a portion for ventilation) should be just fine for them. They are amazingly resilient. Definitely better for them to acclimate to the cold sooner rather than later.

Awesome!! Thanks for your help!

Hey! I'm a Minnesota native! who knew there was so many near me either! I am located 45min north of the cities... Breed, show and raise Buff silkie, Blue silkies, black copper marans, blue copper marans... one of my black copper marans just won grand champion of his division standard also woo woo

DSCN16101.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

Back
Top Bottom