Minnesota!

Same here on the feed end of things. I had to change feeds a few weeks ago, the elevator I was getting it from and was very happy with, merged with another and they started selling the feed the other one had. The stuff they were getting was coming in plastic bags, which I loathe to have around and have to dispose of, plus mice chewed right into them, plus my birds didn't seem to be utilizing it well and were pooping out a lot more of it. Anyway, what I have been using since is only a 16% lay formula, so I am thinking I need more protein if I really want to see more eggs. I am going to try giving a little calf manna and BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) to boost that protein. I did get a few more eggs this week, but like many of others, half or more are frozen by the time I get to the coop each day.
I am hoping that the Farmer's Almanac is not completely right this year and that we will start getting a bit warmer soon, and not much more snow, but not holding my breath. I know we are just coming into the snowiest months of the year, and talked to my husband about getting the snowblower running better so I can actually get to my coops to do chores when that comes.

Here is a question for all of you....
What breed is your best layer in the winter? Super Blue
What breed of yours returns to laying the earliest? Wellsummer and Buckeye

I have a few wellsummers, buckeyes, red comets, cochins, The super blues (WL/americauna) and a few barnyard mixes. Most of mine are laying pretty well, but I use a light on a timer and a heat lamp to help keep the temp up a bit so everything doesn't freeze solid out there.

This year, I am getting more eggs on the cold days then the warm ones. I think on the warmer days the chickens are just so excited to get outside that they say the heck with laying! they do have access to outside every day, but more often than not, they just bask in the sun coming through the windows when it is below 30 outside. I have 16 hens in my layer coop and it seems I get eggs from about half the birds on warm days and the colder days I get about 12-13 eggs. So I think they are laying pretty well. Most of these birds were hatched in April and May of last year.

I forgot to add that I also saw a drop in production when the protien in my feed went down. I started the birds on a whole grain diet, with no store bought bagged food when I hatched these last babies. Right before winter they all stopped laying. Everyone of them. some of them were molting so I went and bought the BOSS and added that along with a little bit of high protien game bird feed and that seemed to get everyone back into lay.

Last edited:
Here is a question for all of you....
What breed is your best layer in the winter? 
What breed of yours returns to laying the earliest?

I will go first:
I have a couple of Buckeyes that have given me eggs a couple of times per week all winter since molting ended.
The ones who have returned to laying consistently for me are my Black Minorcas. They are my best layers, the first to return to/start laying and they have the best hatch rate of any of the breeds I have, yet, they are the ones that the fewest people are interested in getting from me. :)

My first to start up again was my Minorca from you and my OE. I also have a bantam Cochin that has been doing well, course they are all frozen when I get them. Dogs are happy with all of the eggs!

Last edited:
Same here on the feed end of things. I had to change feeds a few weeks ago, the elevator I was getting it from and was very happy with, merged with another and they started selling the feed the other one had. The stuff they were getting was coming in plastic bags, which I loathe to have around and have to dispose of, plus mice chewed right into them, plus my birds didn't seem to be utilizing it well and were pooping out a lot more of it. Anyway, what I have been using since is only a 16% lay formula, so I am thinking I need more protein if I really want to see more eggs. I am going to try giving a little calf manna and BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) to boost that protein. I did get a few more eggs this week, but like many of others, half or more are frozen by the time I get to the coop each day.
I am hoping that the Farmer's Almanac is not completely right this year and that we will start getting a bit warmer soon, and not much more snow, but not holding my breath. I know we are just coming into the snowiest months of the year, and talked to my husband about getting the snowblower running better so I can actually get to my coops to do chores when that comes.

I recently took out half of the nesting boxes (they were getting old) and afterwards I noticed that the eggs weren't freezing any more.

Since they only had a few nesting boxes left, they began taking turns to lay. This way the eggs are always covered.

I don't know if this would work for other flocks, but it works for mine.

I recently took out half of the nesting boxes (they were getting old) and afterwards I noticed that the eggs weren't freezing any more.

Since they only had a few nesting boxes left, they began taking turns to lay. This way the eggs are always covered.

I don't know if this would work for other flocks, but it works for mine.

I think it does help, you have more birds using less boxes so the eggs are under a hen for the better part of the day. I do this too. When it is very windy and cold, I close up half of the coop so they only have access to 4 nests instead of 12. It works well, unless the cold carries on for many days at a time. Then some of the hens seem to get grumpy and start laying on the floor. I am sure it is just that they get tired waiting for their turn for a box, but I sometimes wonder if it really more devious. ;)

I think it does help, you have more birds using less boxes so the eggs are under a hen for the better part of the day. I do this too. When it is very windy and cold, I close up half of the coop so they only have access to 4 nests instead of 12. It works well, unless the cold carries on for many days at a time. Then some of the hens seem to get grumpy and start laying on the floor. I am sure it is just that they get tired waiting for their turn for a box, but I sometimes wonder if it really more devious. ;)
I do like the way you are thinking! I have 2-nest nest boxes in my pens with some more than 10 birds in the pen. I am only concerned with the boxes getting crowded and eggs getting broken. Otherwise I think the general idea of what you are trying is very good. It does remind me of all the stories and pictures of one nest box of 10 being the preferred where everyone wants to lay their eggs and something 2 or 3 hens occupying the box at the same time.

I have black and red sexlinks that have been laying the best. I also have my 12 Black Australorp in with them too, although they are molting at this time. My cochin have not started yet despite having 14 hours of light. I have added 3 heat lamps with only 125w bulbs to combat these frigid temperatures we have had. I have been getting 10-19 eggs a day. Sometimes many of them are frozen.

My best layer has to be my Black Orpington(?) She's a big girl! my EE is also good. those two have been laying every 2-3 days since they got done molting. Then my silver Wyndotte & 1 of my Buff Orpingtons may lay an egg in there. I used to have a cochin mix that was always broody, she used to roll eggs from the other boxes into her nest, never had frozen eggs with her. Unfortunately, a young 'possium got her; I got the 'possium!

Good day to get things done!!

Hi, I'm in Afton. I know that there used to be a breeder near Amery, but they closed years ago.
You can order "small batches" through Houles in Stillwater, along 36 (they sell chicken feed too.) They get it through a northern MN hatchery. You may want to look them up and call, because they order chicks in larger groups based on the pre-orders they receive.
Good luck!

Hi, I'm in Afton. I know that there used to be a breeder near Amery, but they closed years ago.
You can order "small batches" through Houles in Stillwater, along 36 (they sell chicken feed too.) They get it through a northern MN hatchery. You may want to look them up and call, because they order chicks in larger groups based on the pre-orders they receive.
Good luck!
Hi Afton,
Were you trying to answer someone's question or just sharing info?
Welcome to the group, by the way!

Back
Top Bottom