Minnesota!

I have heard more people tell of their bullying, harrassing SLWs than any other breed. They are beautiful, but every time I hear that, I am glad I don't have them.

Another cheap and easy thing to do to help with boredom is putting a head of cabbage or something like that they can peck at in their pen so they can occupy themselves a little more. I like to toss a slab of straw out just so they scratch and keep busy and get tired for bedtime when they start getting cooped up too much. I have seen a little of the feather eating going on and need to address it too, I am more concerned about it leading to egg eating though. Just know if you give them red cabbage, their poop will be turquoise ;)

Frozen melon or some winter squash might be good too. I have some long frozen pumpkins that I still toss out and it takes them a while to peck apart, and they get some moisture from it too.

Last edited:
Awesome! I have to be down that way (Red Wing) the first weekend in March. How soon would I need to place an order if I just wanted to pick up some babies on my way home?

I just want to put it out there that I do the chick ordering for Countryside Cooperative in Amery, WI. We sell chicks through spring. We will carry sexed chicks from March to May. If anyone wants anything I can order it in. No minimum. I already have some bantams ordered for the first week in April. BLRW, silkies, cochins . . . The LF will be coming from Welp Hatchery.

Quote: Our SLW is a pistol too.
love.gif

Pistol is right! I call mine my clown, she is so funny. We bonded early on, when the girls were in the brooder she was the first one who wasn't afraid when I would put my hand in there. She would jump up on my hand, jump off and then come back and do it again, over and over. It was like a game for her. Eventually she would get tired and fall asleep on my hand.
love.gif
She ended up being a runt, was weeks behind all the others in growth and feather development. Now she's doing fine and started laying at about 9 months. She's just funny because she runs everywhere she goes, never walks. Whenever I go into the coop with boots that have laces she immediately tries to untie them! And she's got a very distinct voice, sort of a trill. Gee, can you tell she's my favorite? Sometimes I feel like the parent that won't shut up about their kids...

Well you are on a safe website to jabber on about your chickens. Because here I go....
gig.gif

Our SLW was sold to us as that...but she is really a SLW mutt. her comb is wrong and her feathering is not quite patterned right. A Hatchery mutt bought at our local Fleet supply store. I don't know what else is in the cookie batter but this is what she looks like. Her name is Sylvia.

Unlike yours this one was skiddish as a chick but when she began laying and after some socialization with my daughter she is now accustomed to being held. She does have her own unique soft purr. And when I come out on the deck or into the coop she'll phrase her bah-bahks in a question with a higher intonation at the end. Like "Buh-Baaaaahk?" And then after I give her food or whatever. She says a quick thank you. "Buh-Buh". I swear to Goodness she communicates with me. LOL. Anybody else had this with their hens?
hide.gif

She is highly food focused...First in line with the Rooster's findings as high hen most of the time. And when I throw scratch or fruit/kale out she makes her rounds pushing others out of her way to get what they've found. She's very ......"busy". or very "rude" about it is probably a better word. LOL. Not nice to her flock mates at all when food is the priority. She had blackhead this summer and recovered nicely after a molt right after. This is her heavy and full of it after her illness. The only time she was down and out. About a month. Didn't take her long to rebound and claim her high hen status though.

Miss Sylvia. Such a brat. LOL.

lau.gif
That's so funny about their voices! My Lucy also asks a question, but it's more like "bucka bucka bucka?" I can definitely pick her voice out of the crowd, even when I have my back turned on them!

Does anyone in the Elk River area want some scratch treats? I just bought a bag from TSC, opened it, poured it into an old mealworm container, and noticed it had peanuts in it. My daughter is allergic to peanuts, so I don't want it anywhere that she's going to be and she loves going in with the girls. Let me know if you're interested. I'm not charging anything since I opened it. But I did just purchase it today. I'll meet anywhere around Elk River/Albertville area.

Thanks!

Chickiegrrl I wouldn't mind but I'm out of town right now. Of you want to drop it off at AJ's auto repair (behind Pizza Hut ) I could have me son or daughter in law pay you for it. Let me know how much. Besides they are taking care of the flock for me.

Forgot my son is Joe, lead tech, & Amy is at the front desk. Just let them know it's for Terri. And shamelessly of you need auto repairs, I can recommend a good shop :) it would be nice to meet others in my area.

Yay! Terri, it would be so fun to meet sometime when the weather is a bit warmer.

I'll drop off the treats today, no charge. I hope your chickens enjoy it!
yippiechickie.gif

I'll keep your shop in mind if we need a mechanic.
smile.png
Have a great weekend!!

Ok , hi every one!! Bethann here from the elgin/rochester area.. looking for local hatching eggs.. shipping scares me. and i want some for the easter hatch a long.. its the first hatch a long we will be participating in. sorry not intrested in bantams. but if you have marans or laced wyandottes.. any heavy bird really i would totally be intrested. and my 5 yr old would love you forever for some nice eggs for new fluffy butts

Back
Top Bottom