Minnesota!

My hens were telling me in no uncertain terms this morning how they wished I was posting to the California message board or any other moderate climate location. I went out early this morning to open the door so they could come out of the coop and into the run and they had no interest. They remained on the roost and boy were they giving me an earful. It's a good thing I don't speak chicken or I would probably be feeling badly about myself right now.

Their egg production has dropped during this cold snap as well.

This is global warming is killing me!

All my coconut palms have frostbite on the tips of the fronds. Even a coupe of the coconuts have cracked from the cold.

BTW It appears I did not win the lottery last night either. I thought after the dog got hit by a falling coconut I would have won.

I am not sure What time I will et the girls out today in this cold. Tomorrow I am going to try and get them out earlier so they can enjoy the weather.

I need more covered runs and coops. I think we should have a Minnesota BYC gathering at my place and we can drink adult beverages and experiment in coop and run building!

Triplell Offered me some Cream bars, I so want them, but I have no place for them, unless I throw the Guineas out in the cold. It is tempting. Creambars are so valuable I would not dare free range them.

The guinea are becoming big pains in the back side!

I am thinking today would be a good day to take a trip to Ramsey Feed, just to LOOK at the chicks, not buy.

-35 this morning. No wind. Kids school on time. Alrighty then! We ARE a hearty lot!

Brought down warm water to replace the ice berg sitting on the cookie tin heater. The coop was at -5. But they were acting like they knew about the -35. Cautious. Everybody looking good though.

Grateful for electricity and good feathers and no palm trees in my yard (falling coconuts). Well maybe that wouldn't be so bad...
1f609.png
1f334.png
1f330.png
1f330.png

Last edited:
-35 this morning. No wind. Kids school on time. Alrighty then! We ARE a hearty lot!

Oh wow, You must be Way up there!

I always check the temps at my cabin on a weather app. It was only -33 in Effie, the closest city to my cabin.

I remember when I was a kid. it would be 40 below and snow blowing from the NW at 40 mph, and we had to walk up hill, both ways for 10 miles to and from school, it makes for a hearty bunch.

Or we had to walk to the end of the driveway, and wait for a bus, it all gets fuzzier as I get old.

Last edited:
Ralphie, I would be doubly careful regarding those falling coconuts now that the Palms may have been frostbitten! I think it would be ok to free range the Cream Legbars? The most observant and intelligent birds will survive and contribute to overall improvement of the gene pool. In addition you have Bert to watch over them don't you?

I m sure I could free range them, but If I had creambars, I would want to keep some of their off spring pure and not make mutts out of them. It is just like getting Dominiques, I would want to make sure I had a good base flock of them before allowing them to make mutts.

If I get heritage birds ever, I want to keep them pure.... kind of strange thinking but it is just something I feel needs to be done. Not that I would ever sell or show any.

BTW I get the feeling ED, (the Americauana whatever) is not really loving me. I tried to hand feed them today for a little bit and he told me in no uncertain terms where I could put the treats I offered him.

Ole is much friendlier and open to bribes.

Myron, Ed has been in a coop with free access to an outdoor pen and has not had much close human interaction. He was never aggressive but also not interested in making friends with me. Ole was in a smaller pen in a large building and had close human contact daily when fed and watered. Ed will quite likely come around in short order, unless he believes that you had something to do with his brother from another mother going to fly tying classes?

Myron, Ed has been in a coop with free access to an outdoor pen and has not had much close human interaction. He was never aggressive but also not interested in making friends with me. Ole was in a smaller pen in a large building and had close human contact daily when fed and watered. Ed will quite likely come around in short order, unless he believes that you had something to do with his brother from another mother going to fly tying classes?

I will remind him daily I was innocent of those acts!!!

rofl

How did Ole escape that fate? I would think with al the colors in him he would have been a natural for fly fishing.

Back
Top Bottom