Minorca thread!

Pics
Looking at these two cockerels,the one on the left appears to have white showing on wing bows and a very light color,I would say he is one to cull out as his color is poor and will only add to more color problems in his offspring.The other bird on right is a bit dark(would like to see a shade or two lighter),his wing is a bit red making him two toned and not even,I can see some black in his tail,he is a better bird to use as a breeder than the other,especially if your femalesare even and have solid buff tails.The Sandhill Buff Minorcas I have seen need more height,length and size,tails are a bit high in angle,eggs are not large enough or white enough.The buff color needs some help,especially under color.Just some things to keep in mind if you are working to improve the Buff Minorcas.They are supposed to be a very big,strong bird and a layer of large eggs.

Last edited:
Minorca update for my Blacks. I have a SC male and a RC female and a SC female. Interesting that the males comb was originally flopped but he has continued to grow and it has straightened. They are gaining good height but are not yet filling in a whole lot. Interesting to see them grow out and the rate they do so. Seems like they are going to be pretty tall, which of course I want. The heat down here is probably keeping them from gaining a lot of weight but they will get there in time.
Is this occurence with the comb a common issue with Minorcas Dan? Do they often flop as adolescents and then straighten back up as they grow?

Another question is for Tom. How are your Buffs looking this year so far? Seen the improvement you were hoping for?
Hope everyone is doing well. Still unbearably hot down here in Texas, today was our 84th day over 100 here in the Austin area. Very ready for the heat to go away, especially since I spend so much time out in it each day.
John

My friends Single comb black from Adrian R.
12005_imag1927.jpg

A male whose comb straightens up is not that common,you are lucky.Usually they fall over and stay that way,at least in part.Minorcas tend to get tall ,then build frames and later put weight and muscle,They sound as if they are doing just right,give them plenty of time to mature and fill out and they will end up huge.It is the early maturing birds that stop growing and end up small framed,and underweight.

Thanks Dan for the reply. Good to know I was lucky in some aspect of these Minorcas so far! With such rough luck with the hatch I am very glad to have some quality birds that seem to be on the right track.
How are your birds coming along so far Dan?

Quote:
John,
I'll have to take some photos. They are looking more and more like Minorcas, which is good. I have 4 older males that look pretty nice. Color is uneven in most cases because of the cross to Blacks 3 years ago, but better than last year as far as evenness. This year I culled all males with slate/gray undercolor. A lot of the ckls showed orange/buff top color but still carried gray undercolor. Some were white legged and some were slate legged. AGain, still a bi-product of the Black cross. I hatched from 4 different breedings so should have some good choices for breeding match ups. The last two match ups are still pretty young, so time will tell. I will try to get some photos. I have to say though, that I am pleased with the progress. I want them taller and longer in the neck, but we'll get there. Still a year or so from showing them I think.

Tom

I need some rooster help here. When I got this boy I was told he was a Leghorn. Well while posting a pic of him I was quickly corrected and ended up with the suggestion that he was a Buff Minorca. Well while posting on this thread about what chicks would look like if you mix a black minorca hen with my buff minorca roo, I was told they would be black. Well I hatched out a few and they are coming out pictured below. All look identical, same color yellow down w/ buff faces, and light yellowish brown feet. 2 of them have a small black fleck on their back in the same exact spot. My roo is pictured below the chicks. He has light pink legs with darker pink flecks along the sides of his legs. He has white earlobes and as you can see a HUGE comb. My hen is pictured below his pics. I would like to sell these chicks but I want to make sure they are pure minorca.

68100_dscf5390.jpg

68100_img_1754.jpg

68100_img_1450.jpg

68100_img_1751.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes sir. That would be the one. From what I can gather from all that you wrote within the book, you are the man to ask about any Buff color I am sure! I am enjoying all of the information from it though.

Where could I find that book

Hi we are in Spain without white Minorcas and Buff so i must say that we are drooling as we see those pics.
Rick,

Back
Top Bottom