Minorca thread!

Pics
Quote:
You can call them Minorcas, but they are very poor quality ones. I would simply sell them as egg-layers. And give possible breeds. One of them being Minorca. The only similarity they have is the white earlobe and white legs on the male.

Your post was very hard to understand due to poor wording. I don't plan on showing these birds. Just selling them as egg layers. I know my hen is a minorca, but as you read in the beginning of my question, I wasn't sure about the roo.

Allow me to better explain my position:

I would not sell them as any purebred Minorca as they do not resemble the standard. The female is black and has a white earlobe. Her body is off and resembles more of a production Australorp than that of a Minorca hen and also has the wrong eye color. The male has the large comb, white skin and white earlobes of the Minorca, however his body type is off as well. It is entirely possible to sell these as pure Minorcas, but they only exhibit the most basic of the Minorca traits. I would absolutely sell the offspring as egg layers as I'm sure they would produce large amounts of eggs for any purchaser.

Edit: I am not trying to be rude or mean, just trying to give an opinion from a purchaser and prior breeder's point of view. I am sure they are lovely birds to be around and enjoy and will produce lovely chicks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Your post was very hard to understand due to poor wording. I don't plan on showing these birds. Just selling them as egg layers. I know my hen is a minorca, but as you read in the beginning of my question, I wasn't sure about the roo.

Allow me to better explain my position:

I would not sell them as any purebred Minorca as they do not resemble the standard. The female is black and has a white earlobe. Her body is off and resembles more of a production Australorp than that of a Minorca hen and also has the wrong eye color. The male has the large comb, white skin and white earlobes of the Minorca, however his body type is off as well. It is entirely possible to sell these as pure Minorcas, but they only exhibit the most basic of the Minorca traits. I would absolutely sell the offspring as egg layers as I'm sure they would produce large amounts of eggs for any purchaser.

Edit: I am not trying to be rude or mean, just trying to give an opinion from a purchaser and prior breeder's point of view. I am sure they are lovely birds to be around and enjoy and will produce lovely chicks.

I am not taking anything as rude.
smile.png
Thanks for the clarification. My roo, regardless of the pics, has pinkish legs. What color is my hens eye supposed to be? They are brown which isn't shown well in her picture. She lays very large white eggs.

This is my old black male.

DSCF0111.jpg

See how his eyes are very, very dark? Almost black?

The eyes should be a rich, dark brown. Her eyes appear to be an off-gray/yellow color.

68100_img_1564.jpg

Here is a better picture of her eye ball. lol This is an older pic but it still shows that her eyes are brown. They are even a shade or so darker than this because this was taken with a cell phone which isn't real true to color.

In a cell phone pic, the iris and pupil should be virtually indiscernible. Because the camera on your phone "generally" won't have the megapixels to focus that specifically. Your bird still has a distinct iris and pupil variation in color.

As long as you don't sell them as potential show quality, it shouldn't cause any problems and the chicks may show varying shades of eye colors. Seriously, it is nothing to worry about, just a defect when breeding for show.

Last edited:
That works for me. I just want to raise some pullets to sell as egg layers in the spring but didn't want to call them minorcas unless they were true. Not many people in my area even know what a minorca is. Thanks for your help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom