Minorca thread!

Pics
There seems to be quite a variation in egg size throughout the different breed lines. My very large Blacks from Sand Hill lay more of a medium sized egg, whereas my Blacks from McMurray lay a large egg. My blacks from Ideal also lay a larger egg. I think more emphasis has been given to exhibition qualities in some of these birds, with the result being a decrease in egg size and production.

CRAJ,glad to hear you have a flock of White Minorcas going. All Minorcas should lay large and extra-large white eggs (show or commercial lines) and all varieties of Minorcas,by full maturity time or by 1 year old. The best or easiest way to get a large egg strain is to only set large or larger eggs in the incubator. .

Hey all im new to the backyard. Been doing some searching on my rooster. I picked up 4 black chicks of 2 different breeds and i swear the feed store told me it was a black rock or black australorp but i believe he belongs here. he's about 4 months old.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I am in need of your expertise.

I have a 7+ month old hen that was sold to me by a local 'breeder' as an Australorp. However, she laid her first egg yesterday and it was white. That prompted me to do some research and I think I may actually have a Minorca. Someone else suggested that she is a Black Leghorn, but all the pictures I've seen of that breed show yellowish legs. This hen has dark grey legs. Can you please give me your opinions? TIA!

Here she is at 5 months old when I first got her:

And this is her now at about 7.5 months old on the day she laid her first egg:

Hi. This is a Minorca. She looks rather small compared to the Minorca I raise (but the picture may not be doing her justice). She looks like a nice pullet. She should provide you with lots of white eggs :)

We're thinking about getting some Black Minorca. (is that right? The plural is the same as the singular)
May I join the thread?
They can be referred to as Minorcas as the plural.
Feel free to join. They are gorgeous birds, tall and majestic. Here is a pic of our old man, El Cid. He is a four year old SC Black Minorca Cock.

ZC

They can be referred to as Minorcas as the plural. Feel free to join. They are gorgeous birds, tall and majestic. Here is a pic of our old man, El Cid. He is a four year old SC Black Minorca Cock.
ZC
Thanks for the info. Thank you for the welcome. :) I agree they are majestic looking birds. Your "old man" is beautiful! It's El Cid a Spanish name/word?

Back
Top Bottom