Minorca thread!

Pics
We name most of ours too. I try not to name males, in case they end up going to freezer camp. I do like Charlemagne as a rooster's name. =)
I'm looking at getting some from Murray McMurray or Stromburg's. They're the only two places we have found black Minorcas. Meyers has buff Minorcas, but we want black. Please share if you find a better source for black ones?

Look to Sand Hill for the best Black Minorca. You will have to get your order in early though. The other hatchery birds are good layers, but will lack the type and size of the birds from Sand Hill. I have McMurray and Ideal Minorca too. I have taken the Sand Hill hens and bred them to a McMurray rooster and the Sand Hill rooster to the McMurray hens. I will also breed Sand Hill to Sand Hill, but never McMurray to McMurray.

Look to Sand Hill for the best Black Minorca. You will have to get your order in early though. The other hatchery birds are good layers, but will lack the type and size of the birds from Sand Hill. I have McMurray and Ideal Minorca too. I have taken the Sand Hill hens and bred them to a McMurray rooster and the Sand Hill rooster to the McMurray hens. I will also breed Sand Hill to Sand Hill, but never McMurray to McMurray.

I'm curious (and a newb), why wouldn't you breed McMurray to McMurray?

I'll check out Sand Hill. Thanks! =)

It is simply my preference not to breed the McMurray to one another. I prefer the size and look of my Sand Hill birds, so when wanting to add a little pinch of vigor I will use the McMurray or Ideal bird to see what I get.

How is everyone's girls laying?

I'm still working on getting them; looks like I'm going to have to wait until January.
hit.gif

But the girls I have are slowing down. Less daylight and it's been overcast here. I expect them to pick up now that the cold front has moved through and it's been sunny for two days straight.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom