Missing Duck

My2petducks

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 22, 2015
Spring Hill, FL
We have 2 Pekin Ducks that are 1.5 years old. Sometime Sunday night the smaller one went missing. There's no evidence of a predator, I think she may have flown over the fence during a bad storm and might have wondered off. I'm hoping she'll find her way back home but my hopes are dwindling. What can I do to help the remaining one until we can get a companion for her? They were both girls and I want to get a couple more girls but won't be able to introduce the new ones to her for awhile. I know she's lonely, she let me pet her bill and she ate some worms out of my hand. My heart is broken for the one missing. I didn't realize until Monday morning she was missing, she's normally sitting on her nest of eggs and wasn't there. I've looked everywhere, the fence is still intact, no holes in it or under it so I'm at a loss at would could have happened. Wouldn't there be feathers everywhere if something attacked her? She weighed between 8 - 10 pounds so I can't imagine an eagle or owl would be able to carry her off. What's the best way to introduce new ducks to our remaining one. Sorry this post is so long, my heart aches.
sad.png

Last edited:
We have 2 Pekin Ducks that are 1.5 years old. Sometime Sunday night the smaller one went missing. There's no evidence of a predator, I think she may have flown over the fence during a bad storm and might have wondered off. I'm hoping she'll find her way back home but my hopes are dwindling. What can I do to help the remaining one until we can get a companion for her? They were both girls and I want to get a couple more girls but won't be able to introduce the new ones to her for awhile. I know she's lonely, she let me pet her bill and she ate some worms out of my hand. My heart is broken for the one missing. I didn't realize until Monday morning she was missing, she's normally sitting on her nest of eggs and wasn't there. I've looked everywhere, the fence is still intact, no holes in it or under it so I'm at a loss at would could have happened. Wouldn't there be feathers everywhere if something attacked her? She weighed between 8 - 10 pounds so I can't imagine an eagle or owl would be able to carry her off. What's the best way to introduce new ducks to our remaining one. Sorry this post is so long, my heart aches.
sad.png
hugs.gif
I know your pain all too well. The not knowing makes it even more difficult to bare. There wouldn't be any feathers unless something tried to eat her right there. Sorry for your loss. All you can do for the other is try to keep it as safe as possible and get it a new buddy as soon as you can.

Do you lock them up at night? Does the fenced area have a roof?

hugs.gif
I know your pain all too well. The not knowing makes it even more difficult to bare. There wouldn't be any feathers unless something tried to eat her right there. Sorry for your loss. All you can do for the other is try to keep it as safe as possible and get it a new buddy as soon as you can.

Do you lock them up at night? Does the fenced area have a roof?
We have an enclosed pen inside of our fenced yard. We were locking them up in the pen each night but thought we'd try letting them stay in the yard because there's so many different places for them to hide at night. The duck that's missing is the one that's usually on her nest of eggs (inside the enclosed pen). I guess lesson learned the hard way, I feel horrible. My husband is going to build a larger pen, one that we can actually walk in. I'm going to order 2 girl ducklings today. Do you have any recommendations on how and when to introduce the them to each other?

Can you find adults in your area? If you get ducklings, it will be a while before they can be together without supervision. Adults you could integrate quicker, though you take a chance without keeping them separate to make sure there are no heath issues.

Can you find adults in your area? If you get ducklings, it will be a while before they can be together without supervision. Adults you could integrate quicker, though you take a chance without keeping them separate to make sure there are
I want to make sure we only have ducks, I don't want drakes. I've checked craigslist and did find some but they aren't sexed. We're trying to spend as much time as we can with our remaining one, she's lonely but is eating. We bring her in the house at night. I don't know if it makes her feel better but we do.

We have an enclosed pen inside of our fenced yard. We were locking them up in the pen each night but thought we'd try letting them stay in the yard because there's so many different places for them to hide at night. The duck that's missing is the one that's usually on her nest of eggs (inside the enclosed pen). I guess lesson learned the hard way, I feel horrible. My husband is going to build a larger pen, one that we can actually walk in. I'm going to order 2 girl ducklings today. Do you have any recommendations on how and when to introduce the them to each other?
Don't beat yourself up over it. We all make mistakes when trying to do what's best for our flocks.

When you bring new ones in, keep them separated but where they can see each other. If you get babies, don't put them in alone together until the little ones are almost as big as your girl.

Can you find adults in your area? If you get ducklings, it will be a while before they can be together without supervision. Adults you could integrate quicker, though you take a chance without keeping them separate to make sure there are no heath issues.
x2

I want to make sure we only have ducks, I don't want drakes. I've checked craigslist and did find some but they aren't sexed. We're trying to spend as much time as we can with our remaining one, she's lonely but is eating. We bring her in the house at night. I don't know if it makes her feel better but we do.
Bless her heart. Glad she's eating and that you can bring her in at night.

Thank you! I wasn't aware of that thread!
Check for local rescues also. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom