missing feathers around vent

davimi

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 30, 2009
I have 4 hens and 1 rooster. Some of the hens have missing feathers at the top of their wings(which i figured was being plucked out by rooster. I have chickens saddles on them to protect their backs) The other hen has missing feathers around her vent. It doesn't look red or irritated. If she had mites would she be red? How long does it take for a chicken to molt?

I'm having the same problem. Some of the chickens have lost feathers on their wings and a couple around the vent. Neighbor has rooster that comes over to visit. Went on vacation and came home to a cage full of feathers. Not sure if they were pecking at each other or molting......the rooster was not around. My in laws who live nearby were "watching" the chickens while we were on vacation and not as observant as we are to their daily life.

Hens don't have feathers directly around their vents. Some have some fuzz (downy feathers) but no hard feathers.

The other missing feathers you described are from the rooster mounting the hens to mate.

Back
Top Bottom