Mistral Gris meat birds

Your friend must have tried to copy the name. Or made the spelling close. I also have spent countless hours researching all articles and everything you can think of. About the Cornish X.
If you could kindly help me. I have been trying to find out. How the Cornish body and all its features are so dominent in the X. But the Commercial Poultry Industry has hidden the Pea Comb.
Give me your opinion. Or any details you may have found. I always get nothing when trying to find info. About the Cornish X. I guess that is why it is a Multi Billion $$$$ business.
There is the Mister Grey (totally different meat bird)

Then there is what she raises Mistral Gris. Close but two different birds....

Ok - So when these projects were started. They threw a bunch of different breeds together in a large barn an hatched thousands of chicks. When people only hatch a few hundred from a breeding, you only see such a small number of birds. When hatching thousands of birds you get to see such a large genetic range, you could easily see a hundred or two hundred birds with cornish shape and single comb.

Thanks anyway.
I thought you could give me a better answer then that. I do know that the cornish is still in the 4 way Broiler cross. That makes up the Cornish cross of today. As you mentioned. And since the 1950's. The commercial Poultry Industry has really figured what genetics they needed. The fast growing genes mixed with the Cornish. Is the main thing.

Thanks anyway.
I thought you could give me a better answer then that. I do know that the cornish is still in the 4 way Broiler cross. That makes up the Cornish cross of today. As you mentioned. And since the 1950's. The commercial Poultry Industry has really figured what genetics they needed. The fast growing genes mixed with the Cornish. Is the main thing.
Well. Each broiler line is different, there is no way I could say for certain how they got single combs

I just filled the freezer.

18 mistral gris at 13.5 weeks. The average dressed weight was 4.6 pounds.
I process the 2 largest males a couple weeks ago cause they were looking too big and tasty
droolin.gif

Nice meaty legs and decent breast size. Huge body cavities!

I also processed some 24 week old columbian rock cockerels that averaged out dressed at 4.1 pounds.

My last round with CX came in at 6.2 pounds dressed in 9 weeks.

I just filled the freezer.

18 mistral gris at 13.5 weeks. The average dressed weight was 4.6 pounds.
I process the 2 largest males a couple weeks ago cause they were looking too big and tasty
droolin.gif

Nice meaty legs and decent breast size. Huge body cavities!

I also processed some 24 week old columbian rock cockerels that averaged out dressed at 4.1 pounds.

My last round with CX came in at 6.2 pounds dressed in 9 weeks.

Yah so not as efficient as a commerical broiler, but far better than a heritage bird.

MIstral Gris are actually Master Gris or MASTER GRAY chickens

Here is the link for MASTER GRIS chickens by Hubbard http://www.hubbardbreeders.com/product_leaflets/MASTERGRIS-S.pdf

or

breed them yourself by

Get a huge White Leghorn Rooster and robust Barred Rock Hen and name it
"put your State name here" GRAY.. THERE YA' GO!

or

Get a California Gray chicken whose lineage as above.

Last edited:
MIstral Gris are actually Master Gris or MASTER GRAY chickens

Here is the link for MASTER GRIS chickens by Hubbard http://www.hubbardbreeders.com/product_leaflets/MASTERGRIS-S.pdf

or

breed them yourself by

Get a huge White Leghorn Rooster and robust Barred Rock Hen and name it
"put your State name here" GRAY.. THERE YA' GO!

or

Get a California Gray chicken whose lineage as above.

No they are not. They are two separate strains of poultry. Hubbard's lines of differentiated growth were developed by Don Shaver. The Mistral Gris was developed by an Amish Poultryman in the 80's with the assistance of Don shaver. The breeder flocks are totally different. You can not breed them your self with a simple two way cross. Roughly 10 years of work went into developing the Mistral Gris.

Call Ducks
How do you go about making a 4 way cross to develop meat birds.
Well it's a rather long process (read minimum 10 years knowing what you're doing). It involves many test breeding's. it's not something that can be done in a backyard.

There is more than one way to start developing a 4 way cross. And many little tiny details to thinkg about.

So simple question yet to be answered how do you buy these Mistral Gris here in the states. Does anyone have links or web address.

Back
Top Bottom