Mite Trouble

Bertram

In the timeout corner
Premium Feather Member
Feb 23, 2023
My birds have mites and I'm not sure what to treat them with. We have used Lactor PSP in the past and it has worked well but it is still cold here and I don't want to get them wet. I can't move them all inside and I don't really want to use the Ivermectin we have because it has something mixed in and you can't eat the eggs for a month. If I have to I will but I don't want to throw away 120+ eggs. Does anyone have any other options for treatments?

Have you treated your coop, nests, and roosts with the Elector PSP after removing the bedding far away? Permethrin garden dust in a sock applied to their bodies is good to use on the chickens during cold weather. It must be repeated in 7 days, and possibly again if mites are still active.

Have you treated your coop, nests, and roosts with the Elector PSP after removing the bedding far away? Permethrin garden dust in a sock applied to their bodies is good to use on the chickens during cold weather. It must be repeated in 7 days, and possibly again if mites are still active.
I came here to suggest permethrin but you just blew my mind with using the sock. I waste SO MUCH DUST with the "dispenser" that the permethrin poultry dust comes in.

Have you tried dusting your chickens and your coop with diatomaceous Earth? If you use it, please do so in a well ventilated area it can cause lung damage and can even make you and your chicken stop breathing on the spot.

Have you tried dusting your chickens and your coop with diatomaceous Earth? If you use it, please do so in a well ventilated area it can cause lung damage and can even make you and your chicken stop breathing on the spot.
I'm not sure I'm up for something like that but I might try a different dust.

Or just don't use DE at all and use permethrin. 👍
Why risk lung damage on something that isn't going to work? Been there, done that.

First Saturday Lime powder works very well sprinkled into clean bedding and on the ground. I use that and the other two described methods (not at the same time).

Back
Top Bottom