Mites and Frontline

wilobrookfarms

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
Can you use frontline plus to treat/prevent mites? I work for a small animal vet, so its readily available at cost. Thanks

I have seen a few people on here that do use it but I dont recommend it. I used to work for a dog breeder and Frontline can cause birth defects in dogs if used on a female. It doesnt effect the males. They would use Advantage only on the females. If your not planning on hatching anything then it might be ok. Ivermectin is what most people use. You can get it at Tractor supply or local feed stores as well. Their your chickens though its just my opinion. I have seen some of the birth defects in dogs and there is no way I would use it on my chickens or least my hens.

I'm not even sure I have mites. I have a few in quarantine, and wanted to be "safe". Would a bath in flea shampoo be affective. If not, I'll have to make a run to TSC for some ivermectin. The pour on is most effective right? I'm not sure about buying a huge container though. It will expire before I use it. Any dosage guidelines for using the paste? I have horses, so it will be no problem using it before expiration.

Quote:
You have to use the pour on to be effective against mites. Permethrin is cheap, why dont you try that. Mix instructions is on my BYC page. Even sevin dust is fairly effective unless you have a huge outbreak.

Thanks! Great info. Will try it.

Everyone has there way of getting rid of the mites . I use Adams flea and tick spray but how often should I be spraying my chickens and at whay age can you start?

Back
Top Bottom