Mites! Everywhere!

I have been battling mites for some time now. I have tried DE, ivermectin, permethrin, and a shampoo called cypermethrin. I finally caved in to buy elector psp but it hasn't arrived yet.
I am finding mites everywhere not only on my chickens but a few crawling on my phone this past week. I have two cats and a dog that I suspect might have them as well.
How can I treat everyone and everything? I feel like this won't ever get under control.
Have you tried Nematodes? Just wondering. I just about got my chicken coop and pen ready, but now one of my 6 week old chicks seem to be sick. Her name is Cocoa. I NEED HELP! Her head is sinking back into her neck, and she's very weak. Does anyone know if it's a good idea to soak her in epsom salts???? HELP!

Have you tried Nematodes? Just wondering. I just about got my chicken coop and pen ready, but now one of my 6 week old chicks seem to be sick. Her name is Cocoa. I NEED HELP! Her head is sinking back into her neck, and she's very weak. Does anyone know if it's a good idea to soak her in epsom salts???? HELP!
Has she got a dust bath with wood ash and sulphur in it?
That generally gets rid of mites on the bird quickly. But you also need to treat the coop.
I release Androlis predatory mites into my coop, after making sure there is no DE or anti mite chemicals in there. ( these will kill the predatory mites) so a really thorough coop cleaning is needed.
Then release the Androlis predatory mites into the coop, on the ends of roosts, on any cracks and crannies, and generally where poultry mites like to hang out during the day. Androlis mites eat the poultry mites during the day while the mites are in their hidey holes. They do not go on the birds as they don’t eat birds like red poultry mites do.
It will take up to 6 weeks for the predatory mites to eat all the poultry mites in your coop, depending on how bad the infestation is.
Do not clean out your coop during these 6 weeks, as you’ll be throwing out the predatory mites. Just add fresh wood shavings on top of the chicken poop to stop any ammonia building up.

I notice a difference in my birds within 48 hours ( much less scratching, no red smears when rubbing a paper towel under the roosts at night)

Good luck! 🤞

Mites are a major problem for me. I've been treating with Elector PSP every 10-14 days. I've cleaned it out 3 times now. Completely cleaning the coops, I have 3 and they are all infested and spraying the chickens. 9mls per gallon of water. I am officially at a loss. I've been afraid to use permethrin since I have barn cats. I need help before I decide to just give up chickens because I can't seem to help them. :(

Mites are a major problem for me. I've been treating with Elector PSP every 10-14 days. I've cleaned it out 3 times now. Completely cleaning the coops, I have 3 and they are all infested and spraying the chickens. 9mls per gallon of water. I am officially at a loss. I've been afraid to use permethrin since I have barn cats. I need help before I decide to just give up chickens because I can't seem to help them. :(
You can try putting sulphur in their dust bathing areas, and sprinkle it on the roosts once or twice a week. The sulphur needs the body heat of the hens to work. When they hunker down on the roosts at night it produces enough heat to make the sulphur effective against the mites and fumigates the area.
Sulphur has been used for centuries to control mites on chickens.
I did use Androlis predator mites for a while, which is also effective, but much more expensive as the Androlis die out after eating all the poultry mites, so I was buying them 3 or 4 times a year to replace them! At €40 a time it was getting too expensive for me and I reverted back to sulphur. I only tried the Androlis to be more “natural” - the sulphur works well and is much much cheaper and also “natural”
Good luck!🤞

Back
Top Bottom