Mites in little crevice of coop

Coopcheney

Songster
May 21, 2023
New Jersey
I found a few little red mites in the coop this morning and tried to compose myself since every post I read on Reddit made me fee like I need to burn my coop down lol. I actually had put DE and herbs in the nesting boxes and floor in the coop, I think I sort of caught it before it got out of control. I checked my four ladies and the are not showing signs of mites but I treated them just in case. I do have the doves and random squirrel on the property and I spot clean the coop daily. I am a new chicken owner but from what I read it’s inevitable that chickens or your coop wil get mites some day. My time has come I guess….any words of encouragement?

I definitely don’t think you need to burn down your coop. It sounds like you did catch this really early. I’d clean out the area you found and he mites in and put some sort of mite prevention/treatment down (I’ll link the powder I use for it). If you’re worried about it you could also clean out the whole coop and put the treatment down everywhere. This is the powder I use . Hope this helps 😊

I've had mites twice. The first time...I freaked out. But pulled myself together, grabbed my mist sprayer and my Elector PSP and hosed it all down. Including the chickens. I did it at night while everyone was on the roost, including the mites. I saw no mites after that. But I repeated in 10 days anyways. That was about a year ago.

Night before last, I saw a single mite on two separate chickens. Guess what happened last night? Yep.

I use a battery operated garden mister. Easy Peasey. Just make sure you soak the wall crevasses and spray the birds in all the right spots. Vent, feet, and under the wings. Then for good measure I give them an overspray and dampen the whole bird a bit.

It's really not so bad, and doing it at night (or early morning before sunrise), they don't flap and squawk, they just jostle and bitch a little.

I've had mites twice. The first time...I freaked out. But pulled myself together, grabbed my mist sprayer and my Elector PSP and hosed it all down. Including the chickens. I did it at night while everyone was on the roost, including the mites. I saw no mites after that. But I repeated in 10 days anyways. That was about a year ago.

Night before last, I saw a single mite on two separate chickens. Guess what happened last night? Yep.

I use a battery operated garden mister. Easy Peasey. Just make sure you soak the wall crevasses and spray the birds in all the right spots. Vent, feet, and under the wings. Then for good measure I give them an overspray and dampen the whole bird a bit.

It's really not so bad, and doing it at night (or early morning before sunrise), they don't flap and squawk, they just jostle and bitch a little.
Thank you so much!! I am going to do this today!!!

Thank you! I just felt so powerless!!
Of course! Yes, I can understand that, but it is really easy to treat. Especially with how early you found them

And I always hear about these mites and today was the day those nasty little jerks appeared!! I have a small coop since my ladies free range and I only have four so hopefully I can get a hold on them.
I think you should be able to. Best wishes to you!

Just a bit of warning. Elector PSP and Ivermectin should NOT be used within 10-14 days of each other. While actually affect the bird, together they can cause a severe drop in beneficial flora and such and send the birds into distress.

You'll end up with a whole different set of issues.
Thank you!
Just a bit of warning. Elector PSP and Ivermectin should NOT be used within 10-14 days of each other. While actually affect the bird, together they can cause a severe drop in beneficial flora and such and send the birds into distress.

You'll end up with a whole different set of issues.
I just get discouraged because every other post says red mites will take you down and it’s all doom and gloom so I’m feeling so afraid.

*update* I cleaned the whole coop out and the good news I did not find anymore other than the ones that were in the tiny crevasse of the roost bar. I am treating the coop now and will continue to be vigilant!! I am not going to let these mites break me!!

Thank you!

I just get discouraged because every other post says red mites will take you down and it’s all doom and gloom so I’m feeling so afraid.
If it gets out of hand, it can make your chooks ill and possibly kill them. But clearly your attentive and have caught it early.

There's a lot of advice on here that comes from people with different perspectives. I myself have issues with lice from childhood trauma. I brought home 4 chooks and during intake found one had a lice infestation. I flipped. They freak me out. I spent the rest of the day dunking ALL my birds in pyrethin dog dip in a 25 gallon water trough. My flock hadn't even met the new roos. So, depending on what freaks you out... we all over react to something.

Mites are bugs that need to exterminated and fortunately the Elector PSP is harmless to chickens and fairly easy to use. The whole 'clean and scrub the coop' scenario isn't really necessary if it's not cluttered. Just take out the bedding, spray and put in new bedding. Make sure you spray the floor of the run.

Back
Top Bottom