Thoughts on natural mite control? Bad infestation not responding to chemicals.

Feathyr

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 21, 2014
Idaho
I'd like to emphasize that I've had chickens for roughly fifteen years. This is the first time I've been unable to eradicate mites. I'm not sure what species I'm dealing with, but I know that pour-on Ivermectin, repeatitive Permethrin spray applications, coop deep-cleans, livestock dust, and 24/7 access to fresh dirt haven't done a thing! This started in late spring and gradually worsened as we moved into summer. They look (and probably feel) awful. No lifted scales, but their feather quality is crap and their skin is so red and chewed looking. They preen constantly. Never seen anything in the coop or on the birds, morning or evening.

Has anyone had notable success with natural mite remedies / control methods? I.E., food-grade DE, essential oil sprays, herbs? (I know the risks of DE, but arguably *all* dust is bad for lungs, so I make an effort to provide good ventilation.) Lisa Steele (Fresh Eggs Daily) has several articles on the aforementioned methods, but I was wondering how effective they are when you already have a established problem.

Fire.
Are you sure it's not an allergy?
If chemical sources don't work, natural will not either, as chemical pesticide are synthesized forms of natural substances.
Other than the preening and chewed feathers,there's no other evidence of mites? I'd start looking for other sources.

I'd like to emphasize that I've had chickens for roughly fifteen years. This is the first time I've been unable to eradicate mites. I'm not sure what species I'm dealing with, but I know that pour-on Ivermectin, repeatitive Permethrin spray applications, coop deep-cleans, livestock dust, and 24/7 access to fresh dirt haven't done a thing! This started in late spring and gradually worsened as we moved into summer. They look (and probably feel) awful. No lifted scales, but their feather quality is crap and their skin is so red and chewed looking. They preen constantly. Never seen anything in the coop or on the birds, morning or evening.

Has anyone had notable success with natural mite remedies / control methods? I.E., food-grade DE, essential oil sprays, herbs? (I know the risks of DE, but arguably *all* dust is bad for lungs, so I make an effort to provide good ventilation.) Lisa Steele (Fresh Eggs Daily) has several articles on the aforementioned methods, but I was wondering how effective they are when you already have a established problem.
Elector PSP.

It is an ensyme that disolves the outer shell of insects and works really well. It's not a poison, so resistance to it is not likely.

i wouldnt play around and be soft 'oh i want all natural' and be nice etc etc .. clean the coop out good, no food water bedding or nesting material, spray it with bifen, cover everything walls perches roof, let it dry thoroughly and everything will be fine .. twice a year will keep them out of the coop as long as you dont wash it away .. dont get it on your skin, cover yourself well and shower after .. when its dry it wont hurt anything except bugs ..

i wouldnt play around and be soft 'oh i want all natural' and be nice etc etc .. clean the coop out good, no food water bedding or nesting material, spray it with bifen, cover everything walls perches roof, let it dry thoroughly and everything will be fine .. twice a year will keep them out of the coop as long as you dont wash it away .. dont get it on your skin, cover yourself well and shower after .. when its dry it wont hurt anything except bugs ..
If you shouldn't get it on your skin, why would you put it in you coop? It is a carcinogen.

Does it work better than permethrin?

Are the mites living on the birds or in the coop?
If they are in the coop then they are probably red mites.
I use a blow torch. However, if you have a very large and compex built type of coop made of wood then you may have to burn the coop and start again.

Blow torch works wonders getting rid of red poultry mites.

Always keep a bucket or teo of water at the ready in case you set your coop on fire.

Back
Top Bottom