Pics

sassfras

Chirping
Jun 6, 2016
Hey all, so I’ve been having a VERY difficult time ridding my coop/flock of mites. I have sprayed diatomaceous earth in the areas they most like to bathe, and I spray the areas where the mites seem to be hiding within the coop with a water/vegetable oil/soap mix. While this mix does seem to be killing them, I don’t feel it has a lingering effect. I’m nervous about using chemicals but I’ve seen MANY posts that mention sevin dust? I’m also concerned about not being able to consume any eggs for a period of time. This infestation is actually giving me nightmares and is weighing on my mental state something awful. Please, any input?

I think it’s time to get to the strong stuff. I know you don’t want to use chemicals but the mites can kill them and more natural ways may take too long to kill the mites before it’s too late. I wouldn’t eat the eggs either if you do use chemical insecticides.

DE won't help getting rid of mites but good to have in their dust bath.
I've used Sevin although it's no longer recommended for poultry. Poultry Dust does help but you need to vigilant with dusting the whole flock, removing & dusting all nest boxes and coop area. Permethrin is the magic ingredient and you must follow up in about a week as the mite eggs hatch. Spray works great too but again you need to follow up 7 - 14 days, hatching mite eggs.

Pyrethrins are pesticides found naturally in some chrysanthemum flowers. They are a mixture of six chemicals that are toxic to insects.
Bonide makes a good one and pretty cheap. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035HA0AK/?tag=backy-20
Permethrin is the synthetic version
Choose the first to stay au natural and still kill the mites.
BTW Bonide also makes a dust. :)
Almost forgot, no egg withdrawal and it is super safe for birds.

DE won't help getting rid of mites but good to have in their dust bath.
I've used Sevin although it's no longer recommended for poultry. Poultry Dust does help but you need to vigilant with dusting the whole flock, removing & dusting all nest boxes and coop area. Permethrin is the magic ingredient and you must follow up in about a week as the mite eggs hatch. Spray works great too but again you need to follow up 7 - 14 days, hatching mite eggs.
I happen to have permethrin spray that I had bought for tick proofing clothing, but is there something more specific than just ‘permethrin’?

Pyrethrins are pesticides found naturally in some chrysanthemum flowers. They are a mixture of six chemicals that are toxic to insects.
Bonide makes a good one and pretty cheap. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035HA0AK/?tag=backy-20
Permethrin is the synthetic version
Choose the first to stay au natural and still kill the mites.
BTW Bonide also makes a dust. :)
Almost forgot, no egg withdrawal and it is super safe for birds.
Maybe I could try the dust in their boxes and in conjunction with the heavier permethrin spray?

Back
Top Bottom