Mixed age flock and soft shell issues

magicstorm

Songster
May 3, 2016
Lakeland,Fl
I have a small flock of laying hens with 5 chicks abour7 weeks. We start an all flock feed once chicks came out. Now 2 chickens are laying soft shelled eggs. They have supplemental calcium but seem to not ever use it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sometimes the first eggs can be soft shell. I always have oyster shell out for my hens, but on rare occasions I get the occasional soft egg. They definitely don't eat it like treats, but sometimes they pick at it.

Are you hens continually laying soft eggs?

Kale contains calcium, you could buy that for them if they prefer that.

I have a small flock of laying hens with 5 chicks abour7 weeks. We start an all flock feed once chicks came out. Now 2 chickens are laying soft shelled eggs. They have supplemental calcium but seem to not ever use it. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have Hens with Chicks, Hens with no Chicks and my Rooster....I feed Grower to the Adults in the large feeder and starter in a small feeder for the Chicks....How I encourage my young pullets that start laying to consume the oyster shell is I mix it for a few days with a bit of scratch grains till I see them consuming it...I have never had an issue using this method....:)

Best wishes...:)

She has Chicks also..
wink.png
..5 of them...
smile.png

My bad - sorry
hide.gif

I start feeding oyster shell by spreading it on the raised edges of the coop/ run. The birds all run over to check it out, and then the hens figure out what it is, and will transition to a dish of oyster shell later. Mary

Hello
I was looking for a thread with Oyster shell in it and I found it
ya.gif

I have 6 hens and 19 seven month old pullets. All are laying. I feed layer pellets.
I was having some problems with thin shells,probable because they were young pullets. So I added oyster shell in a tray feeder,but none would eat it.
One day I took a small handful of oyster shell and added it to there daily scratch and wallah no more thin egg shells!
big_smile.png

Now I wonder how much calcium is to much,because layer mash has it and Im adding about one heaping table spoon to 25 layers scratch.
I don't see how this much could hurt but Id like to ask some one that knows chicken nutrition if I'm over doing it.

Back
Top Bottom