Mixed breeds?

Coop Deville

Songster
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
Just a quick question:

Certain mixed breeds of dogs are in fashion lately (for example, "labradoodle"). And any new recognized breed of chicken is going to be a mixture of existent chicken breeds. Any backyard chickeners out there have a mixed breed that has amazing qualities in terms of egg-laying, friendliness, hardiness, etc.? Like an AmerauHorn or something?

I have about 15 crossbred hens. they were from EE, brown leghorn, RSL, buff orpington and barred rock hens and cuckoo maran, barred rock and delaware roosters. It is hard to tell which hens are laying the best because I have them in my coop with 10 other purebred hens. But i can tell you the friendliest are my Maran hens (the only ones with feathers on their legs). The sweetest of all is a brown leghornXmaran. she jumps up on my lap every chance she gets. The wildest ones are the EE crosses. they dont ever want to be touched.

The only real mixed breeds that are ever "in season" so far as I've been able to tell are EasterEggers and their subset of OliveEggers.

I can put a vote in for Welsummer/RIR. My two lay well and the eggs, while not as dark as a Welsummers, are a rich red-brown in color.
The birds are generally friendly and docile, and both have gone broody. One hatched a clutch this spring for me.

Some breeders actually breed for the cross....more so in the UK than here, I think.

Lady of McCamley

My favorite mix I have is a cross between an Easter egger hen and a barred rock cross rooster. I have a male and a female of this double mix and they are both very sweet. The pullet isn't old enough to lay yet but I'm excited to see what she lays. Also I noticed I was able to sex these at two weeks. I don't know what it was but the roosters comb was so huge at 2 weeks, even having a peacomb, I could tell he was a boy without a doubt. The pullet only had one row of peas and I could tell early on for her as well.

Back
Top Bottom