Mixed feelings.. 1st night in outdoor pen.

Ok so they have been outside for 5 days now. Could it be the change that has made them terrified of me now? They've always been a little skittish but it's only gotten worse since they were moved to the outdoor pen.
sad.png
I have come to notice, that sometimes happens. Expecually with the skittish ones, they will grow to become more like wild ducks. Then house hold ducks, our pekins were very human friendly loved to eat food from our hands. Until we got our Welshy's. The Welshy's were skittish from the very start. As soon as we integrated them, all of the duck flock became skittish of us. It was sad really, but there really is nothing we can do about it. Besides go out and throw them food. We have gotten to where they will come closer and closer. But they really don't want to be touched or picked up.

Ducks that live outdoors tend to act, umm, more like ducks, especially if you have several of them. Ducks that are kept indoors act a lot like dogs. They don't have all the "distractions" that are instinctive duck behavior while they're kept indoors. Once they're out, they continually scan the ground and the sky for potential predators, they have grass to forage in, dirt and/or mud to dig in, a pool or pond to swim in if they're lucky, etc.

You can kind of compare this with your own behavior in different situations. When you're at home, you probably don't run from room to room in your house looking for something fun to do in each one. But then you go on a beach vacation and have the beach, the ocean, boardwalks, shops, restaurants, new people to meet, etc. Lots of choice of potential activites, and you want to make sure you take advantage of all of them.

None of this means they don't love you anymore. Ducks know who their caretakers are, and some ducks are friendlier than others, even among ducks of the same breed. Just keep talking soothingly to them and giving treats, and they'll probably come around to some extent.

Hi raincrystalskye! Your situation sounds just like mine. I have two Welsh Harlequins and one runner who moved to their outside pen about a month ago. They've never been super cuddly with me, I think they know me as "the grabby lady who has the treats." But after we have the treats they usually warm up to me a bit more. I just sit with them afterwards and they nibble on my shoes and kind of hang out around me for a while. They will eat out of my hand, (actually the will eat out of anybody's hand if cucumbers are involved!), and I pat their heads and beaks, sometimes their backs while they eat the snacks. I am trying to use to positive reinforcement to associate touching with good things. But it's got to be slow gentle movements and soft voices. Of course, so soon as the snacks are all gone, it's hands off, but we're working on it.

Hi raincrystalskye! Your situation sounds just like mine. I have two Welsh Harlequins and one runner who moved to their outside pen about a month ago. They've never been super cuddly with me, I think they know me as "the grabby lady who has the treats." But after we have the treats they usually warm up to me a bit more. I just sit with them afterwards and they nibble on my shoes and kind of hang out around me for a while. They will eat out of my hand, (actually the will eat out of anybody's hand if cucumbers are involved!), and I pat their heads and beaks, sometimes their backs while they eat the snacks. I am trying to use to positive reinforcement to associate touching with good things. But it's got to be slow gentle movements and soft voices. Of course, so soon as the snacks are all gone, it's hands off, but we're working on it.

Can't believe I forgot to mention that since it's the same thing I do, and it really does work! I hold the treats in one palm, usually peas, and lightly rub my other hand down their neck and back while I talk to them like a two year old. My KH will let me do it for a few extra seconds afterward, but I suspect it's because she's waiting to see if more treats are coming. My Rouen drake backs up as soon as my hand is empty, just out of my reach. They usually hang around my feet for at least a bit afterward, and sometimes they hop onto the deck where I'm sitting and settle down next to me until I stand up. I really do believe they enjoy human attention, but they don't actually crave it like dogs do. They're more like cats in that respect. They want attention on their own terms, and there's no amount of convincing that will change that when they don't.

You'll be ok. I tried to "make my ducks more wild" and it went too well too quick. Same thing happened with me.

Be an outdoor duck with them, and do other tricks. You'll bond just like they are with each other. Be more flock, less person ;)

I think we are making progress!!! When we first moved them out side they were on the back porch. Forgot to mention that they were moved again to a larger gated area in the yard (we have a dog that wants to eat them) so they have their predator safe pen and a play yard that the dog can't get into.
That's alot of change! They are starting to remember that I mean them no harm. I'll go sit in the pen or by thier pool and they come by to check and see if I have treats lol. Cracks me up that I love these ducks like I do LOL my husband has to think I've lost my mind. I overheard him on the phone talking about it. He said "these ducks have brought so much joy to my wife and daughter, how could I ever complain about them" haha
They originally were NOT our ducks. I was just the babysitter til my mom got off work when they were little... But we fell in love
1f60d.png
so they are staying. Suprize honey we are keeping them. LOL

I think we are making progress!!! When we first moved them out side they were on the back porch. Forgot to mention that they were moved again to a larger gated area in the yard (we have a dog that wants to eat them) so they have their predator safe pen and a play yard that the dog can't get into.
That's alot of change! They are starting to remember that I mean them no harm. I'll go sit in the pen or by thier pool and they come by to check and see if I have treats lol. Cracks me up that I love these ducks like I do LOL my husband has to think I've lost my mind. I overheard him on the phone talking about it. He said "these ducks have brought so much joy to my wife and daughter, how could I ever complain about them" haha
They originally were NOT our ducks. I was just the babysitter til my mom got off work when they were little... But we fell in love
1f60d.png

love.gif

Funny how much these silly birds can wriggle their way into our hearts!! I'm so glad things are getting better!

1f60d.png

I'm so glad to hear things are getting better. I know you were really sad about the way they were acting toward you, and it sounds like things are looking up!

Back
Top Bottom