Mixing Barred Rock Female w/Jersey Giant Roo??

itsy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
New England
I just found out that my Barred Rock girl was living with a Jersey Giant roo. She definitely LOOKED like she had been with a roo! I've been saving her eggs for a few days and bought an incubator today. I'm going to try them out.

Does anyone know what might pop out if all goes well?

Thanks, Ridge!

So will they be larger than other sex linked crosses because the Jersey Giant is larger than some others? For instance - If it were a RIR roo, the resulting sex links will be a little smaller than the JG cross? I'm wondering if I'd end up keeping them for meat.

Hey I just got eggs from my friend who has a black jersey giant rooster and he has Barred rock hens and Production red hens & I was also curious as to what I'd end up with baby chick wise, b/c we're about to put them int he bator....I wonder if they'll be bigger than a normal chicken also...hmmm wonder which genes are recessive....

Hey I just got eggs from my friend who has a black jersey giant rooster and he has Barred rock hens and Production red hens & I was also curious as to what I'd end up with baby chick wise, b/c we're about to put them int he bator....I wonder if they'll be bigger than a normal chicken also...hmmm wonder which genes are recessive....
they will all be black at hatch..(barred ones will have a head spot) the chicks size is dependant on the egg size, if the egg is small, the then chicks will be small....but will grow larger as they grow, leghorn chicks are huge(huge eggs) but they dont grow as big as BJG

they will all be black at hatch..(barred ones will have a head spot) the chicks size is dependant on the egg size, if the egg is small, the then chicks will be small....but will grow larger as they grow, leghorn chicks are huge(huge eggs) but they dont grow as big as BJG

Hey, thanks for the info. Yea, see the chickens that I got the eggs from are only 8 1/2 months old, yea the biggest Jersey giant egg is only as big as the biggest banny egg I got LOL 1.4 oz, the biggest is only 1.5 oz, so yea they are little eggs.

Yea I know about the leghorns :) got me one, she lays big eggs usually!
thumbsup.gif

Domino, my 9wk old JG/BR mix
Rocky, my JG/BR other mix...(getting pretty gold coloring)
Galaxy on the left is the only JG/BR mix that turned out like her momma, hope its a she even though she's got pretty big wattles/comb she's really passive...then on the right is a Jersey giant daddy and prod. red momma :) getting pretty too!

My Jersey giant/barred rock mixes also had the gold barring or lacing. I had no sex link marks or spots on the head, but my little rooster is gonna be a big boy! I LOVE that his barring is all around his long neck feathers and on each side of his glorious purple and green tail feathers! The mixed females don't have any extraordinary colors and look for the most part like any other Giant.

Back
Top Bottom