Mixing ducks of different ages/ and feed

Taterrtots

Chirping
5 Years
May 21, 2015
Hello!
I was wondering what many of you do when you feed ducks of different ages. I have 1 silver Swedish (10 wks.), 2 Pekin (16 wks.), 4 Pekin ( 8 wks.). I have been told to just mix the grower feed and the starter feed 1/2 and 1/2 since they are all together. Is this what you would suggest too? We also have 10 Khaki Campbell (2 wks) that are in a separate area. I'm pretty sure I will just keep them separate (until they can eat the layer feed the rest will be on) or feed them separate when they join the group. Ideas? Tips? TYIA

Ducks shouldn't be fed "layer" Feed.Purina Layer Feed is for "laying Hens".All flock is what all the ducklings need since their all older then 8 weeks.

And what is the "Starter Feed" called?

Hi!
I have them on DUMOR Chick Starter (Poultry Feed). On the back it states that it is designed for Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Quail, Pheasant, Chukar, Turkeys/All Poultry. According to the bag, the ducks are on the starter until 10 weeks, then they suggest starting the DUMOR Poultry Grower/Finisher until 18 weeks then beginning the DUMOR Poultry Layer. So we were mixing the starter and grower for the ducks that are 16 weeks, 10 weeks and 8 weeks. I had read that you can also mix in rolled oats. I was considering that too. What do you think?
Our ducks have a large yard and even a pond they spend most of their time in. I find that they forage most of the time.
I have my chickens on the Purina layer feed but will probably change over to the DUMOR layer and keep everyone on the same type when the ducks have reached the layer feed stage.
I was just concerned if the mixing of feed would harm the younger or older ducks.
hmm.png

TYIA

Just a heads up never give ducks Antibiotics.Oats sounds like a pretty good Idea.

I wouldn't worry about mixing it in.

I have ran into many antibiotic cases and it has had a terrible effect on them.
They begun falling and became lame i immediatly took them off of it.

Medicated feed as well should never be used for ducklings.

Okay, I'll disagree with you on that. I've treated a respiratory infection on my flock with antibiotics in the past with no issues other than the duck got better and became more of a jerk than he was before the infection.

If there are specific drugs that caused issue, then make that known (Penicillin or sulfa drugs come to mind.)

Back to the topic at hand: Oats should be fine to mix in.. with a little math, you should be able to calculate the percentage of protein based on weight... Metzer Farms has a handy calculator: http://www.metzerfarms.com/FeedConversion.cfm?

I have my ducks mixed in, as I've mentioned earlier. Now I'm looking at 2 of my Pekin ducks old enough to be started on a laying feed? (I think only one of the two is female, if that makes a difference.)
Is it okay to keep them on the grower/finisher (so they are on the same feed as the younger ones)? I'm also asking because it's really hard to tell the difference between my 18 week old Pekin ducks and the 10 week ones. :O) It's unreal how fast they grew.
I also would like to know which feed folks most recommend. I also have laying hens (in a separate pen) and it would be great to have them all on the same feed. Suggestions? Ideas?

Back
Top Bottom