Mixing grains into feed and offering scratch questions

AmericanKraut

Songster
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
Minnesota
Hi all,

I don't have layers yet, just chicks on starter. I've been reading posts that people mix grains into their feed. Is this necessary or recommended and at what ratio? Are wheat and oats options? Do you feed at set times or leave feed available 24/7?

Also, should I offer scratch available at all times or just as a treat, and how often?

I just noted that I had ideas in my head different from others. Common I know with chicken keepers, but with feed I want to have it right.

Thanks!

Scratch grains are a treat and should not be mixed with their ration as it will dilute the protein and nutrient content of their diet, which is very important while they are developing and producing. Also, what would most likely happen is they would peck the ration on the floor or ground to pick out their favorite bits.

Scratch grains are a treat and should not be mixed with their ration as it will dilute the protein and nutrient content of their diet, which is very important while they are developing and producing. Also, what would most likely happen is they would peck the ration on the floor or ground to pick out their favorite bits.

Good to know and makes sense. I've seen a few people saying they just mix the scratch in.

Usually people do that to save money on feed, which I don't understand because there are cheaper complete feeds as long as you don't insist on buying name brands, organic, gmo free or some other specialty. Otherwise it's just people taking advice from old timers that used cracked corn or scratch grains to supplement their free range chickens to ensure some survive over the winter. At the time the goal was for enough of them to survive in order to make more in the spring, not necessarily for growing or producing at peak health and efficiency.

Last edited:
Usually people do that to save money on feed, which I don't understand because there are cheaper complete feeds as long as you don't insist on buying name brands, organic, gmo free or some other specialty. Otherwise it's just people taking advice from old timers that used cracked corn or scratch grains to supplement their free range chickens to ensure some survive over the winter. At the time the goal was for enough of them to survive in order to make more in the spring, not necessarily for growing or producing at peak health and efficiency. 

I was wondering if that was the case. A big bag of grain even at a deal still would cost a bit. My dad gets a truck load of corn for a corn kerbal burner he hears his garage with, at a steal, but I really doubt it's feed quality. The feeds at Tractor Supply and the feed stores around here are $15-$25 for even brand names.

Good food pays off! The big feed companies have invested in R&D, and have figured out how to make balanced complete rations for chickens at all life stages, and for the least cost. The small flock owner can't produce the same balanced feed for close to the same price! 'Old time' chickens produced way fewer eggs per year! Scratch grains, etc, are extras, and should be fed that way. I have food and water available in the coop, because they want to eat and drink first thing , and I'm not out there at dawn! Mary

I agree with Nupe and Folly.
Those that mix grain - or anything else with their feed may not know what they're doing.
I occasionally mix grain with feed if the feed is very high in protein. Most feed isn't. I occasionally get 20% protein feed and mixed with 10% protein grains gets me 13 or 16% protein. Still not a great idea. Until one knows a great deal about feed, it's best to just provide chicken feed - especially for chicks.

Most manufacturers of chicken feed carry several lines of product for various ages of birds - starter, grower, finisher, layer, all flock, etc..
They are formulated to be a nutritionally COMPLETE FEED. Most feed labels I have read have a statement to the effect, "Feed as the sole ration. No other supplements are needed."
Then it is out of their hands. They can't control how feed is stored, nor how long it is stored before being fed.
They don't come about those formulas and statements lightly. They employ poultry nutritionists that have the latest research at their disposal. They analyze each batch of feed to insure it has every vitamin, mineral, amino acid, fat, micronutrient and energy calorie known for body maintenance and good productivity.
The levels of amino acids lysine and methionine as well as the calcium:phosphorus ratio is on every bag of feed.
Never mix anything with feed unless you have a goal based on informed science. Otherwise, you're messing up optimal nutrition.

ETA
Keep feed available all waking hours. They won't overeat.

Last edited:
X 2 to Nupe, Folly and Canoe
wink.png

The convenience of knowing that *I* don't have to worry about balancing and mixing and staying abreast of the latest studies and scientific information - not to mention doing the actual work of producing my own feed - is well worth it. The assertion of some that it is a "cost savings" method gives me pause as, done correctly, that really doesn't pan out given the cost of individual ingredients and the fact that the larger commercial companies are buying these same ingredients at prices the average consumer cannot due to the volume at which each would be purchasing. The phrase "penny wise/pound foolish" comes to mind as those short term "savings" that can be seen with just mixing this and that and whatever they can get cheaply seems like a great deal, but the long term effect of increased consumption as the birds eat more of the less nutritious feed to try to meet their needs and decreased production as the nutritional deficiencies take their toll is costly. As pointed out above, the chickens of today are "not your grandpa's chickens" - these aren't the same birds (even when they are the same breeds) that ranged around the old homestead picking up whatever food they found and laid a few eggs here and there, these are birds who have been systematically modified to produce eggs at rates which were not seen before, they need the fuel to support that.
I do keep feed and water inside the coop as there are bound to be days when the birds are ready to be up and about before the humans are and we confine them to the coop at night so feed/water in the run would be inaccessible until we do get out there to let them out. Scratch is used as a treat in our flock - it's primarily given when I call them back in from ranging time to keep them rushing back to the run willingly because they know there's a bit of "candy" waiting for them to gobble up -- or if I am enjoying a little particularly sweet time with a bird or two and might offer them a little bit as a hand treat.

I keep the scratch completely separate from their feed, they only get a handful or so tossed in the run to dig around for.

One good thing about scratch is you can use it for training your chickens to come and go as you wish.

From day one when ever I gave them scratch, I would shake the container and yell "Scratch". Now whenever I want to get them back in their pen I just grab the scratch container and shake it and yell and they come running, I then throw a handful into the run and they all go in to grab it and I can close them in. I also use it to get them away from a garden or somewhere else I dont' want them to be, just grab the container shake it and yell then walk to where I want them to go and throw down a small amount. Of course this only works till they eat all the scratch and if they liked the previous area better they'll just head back there. It is pretty funny to call them with the scratch container and see them all come running from the 4 corners of the yard.

We mix "scratch" into the regular ration for the ducks to lower the protein level down to what is best for them ... and our feed has been specifically formulated to do that for the ducks. Our chickens get the feed straight, and get scratch if and when we wan to give them a treat or encourage them to scratch.

There are concentrated feeds designed to be mixed with scratch ... for people who have easy access to scratch. In my experience, when I "mix" scratch into the feed, the chickens shift the feed to the floor to find all the treats (scratch). It's like watching a kid dig for the prize in the Cracker Jack box. So if I were to use a concentrated feed + scratch system for chickens, I'd probably keep the feed in one hopper and the scratch in another.

Back
Top Bottom