Mixing Pullets - Agressive-ish Isa Brown

Sugarloaf Estate

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2024
Hello all, apologies if this has already been covered but couldn't find a relevant thread.

I have 8 pullets, 3 Isa Browns that are 19weeks, and a mix of 8week old breeds and a 12 week old Lavender Sussex.
For the moment, I have the 5 little ones inside a cage in the coop, and the 3 isa browns have the run of the coop!
5 days in, I decided to let the Lavender out with the Isa Browns - as she is a similar size - but they weren't very nice to her.
Margaret (the boss hen) was pecking at her the most, the other two seemed ok with her, but I realised that Margaret was in charge, so figured that was the end of the experiment.

The next day I let out all the pullets with the 2 reasonable isa browns, and put Margaret in the cage, but when I left them alone for 2 hours - i got back to find that my lavender was basically hunched down, and everyone else was either standing on her - or having a little peck.

I checked her over, and she seemed ok - and its been 2 days and shes ok - but i noticed under her wing there are no feathers, but i'm not sure if it was like that before. there are a few of her feathers lying around - do 12 week olds molt? is this normal? she is very fluffy under the bum area, is there such a thing as baby fluffy feathers molting to make room for big girl feathers?

I know this is a million and one questions - but also I'd love to get to a stage where I can mix them full time, and even let them out to free range where safe and with observation. I should also mention - there is a 24/7 chicken cam in there linked to my phone, so when I say left them alone, i was watching intermittently from my phone.

Thank you - apologies if there is a similar thread, feel free to link me to it and I can read up in there.

but i noticed under her wing there are no feathers, but i'm not sure if it was like that before. there are a few of her feathers lying around - do 12 week olds molt?
Bare skin under the wing is not unusual at taht age....and yes, they go thru a few juvenile molts between hatch and about 6 months.

The bullying has nothing to do with size/age, it's about territory.
I assume you added the younger birds after you got the older birds?
How big is your coop and run?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

Meanwhile here's some tips about.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Sugarloaf Estate
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1705663785738.png

Welcome to BYC!
Integrating others into an established group is never easy. The advice given you in post #2 should help the situation.
I hope you’ll update and let us know how it goes….

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. This is a great place to explore and hang out.
Territory is the worst when pullets are young, the first poster said it best.

Back
Top Bottom