Mixing Vaccinated and non vaccinated chicks

angela0408

Songster
12 Years
May 30, 2009
Canada
Not sure if I’m in the right thread. So my question is dealing with coccidiosis. If you get layer chicks from the hatchery and get the vaccine, can you put chicks you hatched yourself with them. Will they benefit from the vaccine? Is there a time period where you shouldn’t mix them. Going forward can those adult birds affect new chicks that you hatched. I have been getting vaccinated layers for over 10 years. I’ve hatched out a few of my own, but have really started getting into hatching the last two years. I’ve sold many chicks and have never had a problem with any of them or the ones I’ve kept on my farm. Everyone is healthy. Recently I had a lady buy some chicks (they were born 3 months after my spring layers arrived). They had been by themselves in my brooder box (I clean it out after every hatch, it’s dry) and while they were in the same barn area, they weren’t mixed directly with any adult chickens. She mixed them with another batch of chicks and came down with coccidiosis. The vet said they can get it from vaccinated chickens. And the other lady said you should never mix them. What’s everyone’s take on this. The one hatchery I spoke with said if you mix them, the chicks will benefit from the vaccine. Research says after 12 weeks the vaccine is no longer valid. If you buy mediated feed, you’re basically doing the same thing as the vaccine. So what’s the difference? Long post I know, but so many different stories. The whole thing is now a bit confusing and I want to do the right thing. Thoughts anyone?

I have mixed vaccinated chicks and non-vaccinated chicks with no problem, and I use non-medicated feed. I think you'll be fine. But be careful, there are a lot of different opinions on this subject. Really, just do whatever you think is best.
Vaccinated for coccidiosis or Mareks? I think OP is talking about a coccidiosis vaccine, which my hatchery didn’t offer. I think mixing Mareks vaccinated birds is worse cause at least coccidiosis is treatable. Although that said I’ve mixed Mareks vaccinated and non vaccinated birds together before I knew better (hatched them myself). I ended up having to put two of them down :( my rooster, however, is still doing fine so :fl I just hatched some of his chicks and I am hoping they get some sort of natural immunity or something since he seems fine but we’ll see.

I think your birds should be fine but idk because I didn’t even realize there was a coccidiosis vaccine until recently haha
Coccidiosis vaccine has been available for a number of years with my hatcheries in Alberta (Canada). My understanding is mereks is a passive vaccine and therefore not transferable.

Coccidiosis vaccine has been available for a number of years with my hatcheries in Alberta (Canada). My understanding is mereks is a passive vaccine and therefore not transferable.
Yeah, it might be different in Canada, I’m not sure. I think some of the hatcheries here offer it, I know I saw it at least one, but none of the ones I’ve ordered from I don’t think. And well the vaccine itself isn’t transferable AFAIK but they can still carry the virus. The problem with the vaccine is it doesn’t prevent the birds from getting the virus, it just prevents them from dying from it. Therefore they can still carry it and pass it on to other birds and everything. And it’s actually worse because it produces a hotter strain of the virus since the hosts don’t die right away. So it can kill unvaccinated birds very quickly. Both of my birds that got it showed symptoms and had to be put down in two weeks or less. The first one probably could have been put down somewhat sooner but I wasn’t sure that’s what it was at first. The next one I had to put down almost immediately because I knew.

ETA: both got it from my vaccinated flock.

Back
Top Bottom