MM Sick Chicks Official Diagnosis In...

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that helped get answers. I too have been battling this and I have been glued to my computer all weekend to get answers. So thank you

Also I just wanted to let everyone know that yesterday I called the "you know who" hatchey and they said the same thing as they told others. "wait two weeks, call back and we will credit or refund depending on your loss". Well today I took 3 to the vet to be put down, they were beyond saving (I am nursing 4 still). I was upset and angery, so I called the hatchery and expected a fight. I simply stated I had called them yesterday about sick chicks and I would like a full refund. They said no problem, asked no question and credited my visa. It was no more than a minute.

This covers my cost of vet service and meds. I just want everyone to know that I have lost a lot of sleep over this but I really think that the hatchery is now figuring out that they have a mess on their hands. At least they are upholding their gaurantee.

I am sorry for those who have had large losses. I have had a total of seven die so far but it has only cost me sleep and heartache, little $$. I am just a small farm and I choose to roll the dice and keep my chicks. No one knows how they will be as adults. I will risk it.

Good luck to all - Thanks

Your right, back to the topic.
I sent chicks to UW - no results yet, they want to wait for cultures.
If I can remember, Chicks have been sent in for testing in WI, MN, PA, OR, NC, and ME. Is there anyone else or did I add anyone by mistake?

OK folks this post is temporarily closed for cleaning due to a number of complaints about both behaviour and disease confusion.

I'll be as quick as I can, but please afterward lets stick to one disease, Avian Encephelomyelitis, and allow all opinions without bashing anyone.

Those of you who research your state animal agencies and do not find answers, please contact them direct by phone or email.

We are not vets nor agency officials and do not know all the laws of each state, what is reportable, what is not and what happens to your flock if it is positive.

This is a learning experience for everyone.

My last 3 roos from the feb 9th hatch are doing quite well. One is a bit on the tiny side, but he has never shown any signs of the disease. I have taken all the materials from the brooder and thrown it on the fire. I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned!

I just recieved some new chicks from another hatchery, but I put them in my house, instead of the garage. I have had NO casualties. they are all doing wonderfully, happy, and healthy
chicksday2-1.jpg

all arrived alive, so I feel ALOT better, I was so heart broken over my last batch.

I just sent MM an email and let them know what happened to my first guys { I called within the inital 48 hrs, but only had 7 casualties at the time } an I am really hoping I get a response. I chose to email because it is a hard copy, and will hopefully get to someone who can help. I do not blame them, but until the situation is rectified, I am going to go with another hatchery for now.

R.I.P. My first little fluff bums {pics follow}
chiks1.jpg

chicks2.jpg
hit.gif

As far as reportable, typically here in MN when you bring in a diseased animal to a licensed vet, that vet is required by law to report the diagnosis. In my case, the VDL at the U of MN notified me that they had to report it to the MN Board of Animal Health and there pretty much isn't anything I can do about it. If there is a commercial grower outbreak is where you get interaction with the BOAH, depending on the seriousness of the illness. I only have a few chickens so it isn't likely to impact me.

Last edited:
ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr, you should also follow up with a phone call... for something like this, they probably will not respond to an email. Just fyi...
smile.png

P.S. You have beautiful babies...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom