Greenfire Farms Birds and Avian Leukosis - Mareks Disease - Infectious Bronchitis - Mycoplasma synoviae

MaevesFLock

Hatching
Feb 14, 2020
I am looking for other people who have received sick birds from Greenfire farms to file a formal complaint with NPIP and other state or federal regulatory agencies. My concern is the farm is acting as a reservoir for fatal avian diseases that are being nationally distributed by their operation. Please message me if interested. So far the breeds I have heard feedback on having the same symptoms are the Silver (they call birchen) Marans, Cream Legbars, Bielefelder and Rhodebar, however this is only after talking to 4 different former customers.

In November 2019 I ordered 4 Silver (GFF Blue Birchen Marans) and 4 Silverudds Blues (GFF Swedish Isbar).

They very generously sent me 4 extra birds - the Marans were $60 each and the Isbars were $30 each, and I was very impressed with the service and shipping quality. The birds were healthy and strong upon arrival. I raised these chicks in a refrigerator box in my garage with no cross-contamination from my healthy flock who were always outside. My adult flock never had any illness or coccidia and the entire flock previously came from My Pet Chicken. In fact our first home hatch from those birds had a 100% hatch rate with super healthy chicks as well.

Around 4 weeks I started to notice one of the new blue marans always looked sleepy, fell asleep for no reason constantly, and squinted all the time. I stupidly assumed breeding defect rather than researching. Around 6 weeks one of these birds who seemed very healthy previously started to become lame, and that eventually progressed into sleeping all the time and unable to walk at all. Around 10 weeks patient zero dropped dead overnight. At the same time one of the cockerels became symptomatic, same constant sleeping and squinty eyes and pale comb. He dropped dead 2 weeks later. We finally put the extremely disabled pullet down at that time. Two weeks later another pullet and cockerel became symptomatic. The cockerel seemed to improve with medication for coccidia, but crashed suddenly one day and died shortly after. He was about 16 weeks old, and I took him for a necropsy at the state agriculture department in TN. The attached filed "Pathology_report_Birchen_Marans" is the pathology report. We are planning to put the other symptomatic female down next week so we can take the body in immediately for necropsy (this is important because the structures that diagnose break down within hours). We also had a severe outbreak of coccidiosis at the 10-12 week mark and we thought this had been the issue. When it didn't resolve with antibiotics and Corid, and birds kept dying, we knew there was something more. Strangely my Silverudds Blues are all healthy (once we passed the coccidia outbreak).

The official diagnosis is Avian Leukosis. It is viral and causes lymphoma. There is no treatment and no vaccine. Early infection like these birds had will lead to lifetime shedding of the virus through egg yolk, albumin and feces. This means the disease can be passed from mother to baby via egg, and "horizontally" to anyone else via feces. The only way to eliminate it from your flock is to cull the entire flock, disinfect, and start again. The virus is easily killed by standard disinfection. Needless to say breeding eggs or chicks for reproduction is totally out. It has a long incubation period so you do not usually see it in chicks until around 16 weeks. Birds exposed after 12-20 weeks of age according to Merck will not become lifetime shedders of virus. One website said it can be passed through reproduction, but another journal article I read said that hasn't been proven. According to my vet the only definitive way to diagnosis is through examination within hours after death, however a DVM on facebook said there is now a reliable PCR test?

I am frustrated, heartbroken, and still reeling over how to deal with it. We will likely cull anyone symptomatic and see how the adult birds deal with it before culling the flock. The following circumstances and facts lead me to believe the illness originated in the hatchery:

The long incubation period
The lack of exposure of the GF birds to any birds in my flock or any other birds or people around other birds
The very good health of my adult birds
The symptoms being 100% restricted to the group of chicks from GFF
The virus being communicable from mother to chick via yolk and albumin

If you have chickens sick or dropping dead - I suggest taking them to your state agriculture lab which is generally very easy to find on the internet and they do the necropsy (that's an animal autopsy) and all associated testing for Mareks etc - sometimes for free or reduced price on non-companion species. Make sure to take the animal in immediately after death or refrigerate just above freezing until you can - the structures that assist in diagnosis decompose rapidly.

Another acquaintance of mine (who I met online because we both bought birds from the same hatch date from GFF) just had her dead birds necropsied - the report showed Mareks, Infectious Bronchitis, Coccidiosis, and Mycoplasma synoviae. They are attached.

Attachments

• 20f555 FINAL-3.pdf
    73.2 KB · Views: 31
  • FINAL 20f921.pdf
    92.1 KB · Views: 14
  • FINAL 20f922.pdf
    65.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Pathology_report_Birchen_Marans.pdf
    531.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Hi there. :frow

Sorry for your losses and diagnosis. :(

Out of the things you mention, only the Mycoplasma is tested for by NPIP... but if you have concern... get on the phone NOW instead of waiting for others to hop on board... NPIP tests the flock EVERY year. Here is contact information..
http://poultryimprovement.org/default.cfm
What doesn't add up to me... is your birds started dying at 4, 6 and 10 weeks old... while you state it has a LONG incubation period of around 16 weeks. What I read on Merck also stated it can be carried by other animals including mammals. Please note, I'm not saying you are incorrect about your source of issue.. and yes I'm very concerned as I DO have a future shipment coming from GFF. :barnie

Sorry to hear about your acquaintance as well. I'm sorry, but coccidiosis did NOT come from the hatchery... Coccidia are in every chicken poo and only an issue when too many sporulated eggs are ingested. Sounds like they may have had more issues at play.... Does GFF have Marek's... MAYBE... Maybe all their birds are vaccinated and hiding it... but it does NOT pass vertically to the eggs and takes at least 3 weeks after exposure before symptoms appear. They vaccinate ALL their chicks against Marek's unless otherwise requested. Which Marek's vaccinated birds NOT welcome here to HIDE the disease. With regards to infectious bronchitis... plus those birds showed Marek's, and MC/MS... can't help but wonder about THEIR quarantine practices... How many times have I sold birds to folks who are excited and gathering as many breeds as they can from many different sources... Or the same breed but "different blood lines" for breeding. I'm not pointing the finger at your online friend... but I am suspicious that there's more to the story than meets the eye. Sounds like they could have had a perfect storm.

I do also wonder now... how many times folks (including myself) blame Marek's when it Leukosis??? A good reason to refrigerate and send a bird for necropsy!

I'm including a link with contact information for ALL state laboratories to make it easy for anyone (in the US) reading this who could use some answers via necropsy...
State poultry labs

Anyways, thank you for sharing your concern and reports. While I'm still planning to get my shipment... there's still time for this to rear it's ugly head some more. Horizontal diseases are the ones I most hope to avoid! I will continue following. Again, very sorry for your not only your loss but I'm sure the whole experience was/is a nightmare. :hugs

Although I'm not going to jump on the 'tar and feather the chicken peddler" (ha) bandwagon, I've noticed that there's really no proof from your Internet friends, and coccodosis is from very unhealthy inviroments.
it could be that standards have dropped, sometimes well known companies, whether the product is any good or not, tend to drop the ball once they get popular. a bloating, thieving phone manufacturer comes to mind.
but anyway, I doubt this is the case.
dang, typing on mobiles is tedious, I've had to edit this like 5 times...

Last edited:

Out of the things you mention, only the Mycoplasma is tested for by NPIP... but if you have concern... get on the phone NOW instead of waiting for others to hop on board... NPIP tests the flock EVERY year. Here is contact information..
What doesn't add up to me... is your birds started dying at 4, 6 and 10 weeks old... while you state it has a LONG incubation period of around 16 weeks. What I read on Merck also stated it can be carried by other animals including mammals. Please note, I'm not saying you are incorrect about your source of issue.. and yes I'm very concerned as I DO have a future shipment coming from GFF. :barnie

Sorry to hear about your acquaintance as well. I'm sorry, but coccidiosis did NOT come from the hatchery... Coccidia are in every chicken poo and only an issue when too many sporulated eggs are ingested. Sounds like they may have had more issues at play.... Does GFF have Marek's... MAYBE... Maybe all their birds are vaccinated and hiding it... but it does NOT pass vertically to the eggs and takes at least 3 weeks after exposure before symptoms appear. They vaccinate ALL their chicks against Marek's unless otherwise requested. Which Marek's vaccinated birds NOT welcome here to HIDE the disease. With regards to infectious bronchitis... plus those birds showed Marek's, and MC/MS... can't help but wonder about THEIR quarantine practices... How many times have I sold birds to folks who are excited and gathering as many breeds as they can from many different sources... Or the same breed but "different blood lines" for breeding. I'm not pointing the finger at your online friend... but I am suspicious that there's more to the story than meets the eye. Sounds like they could have had a perfect storm.

I do also wonder now... how many times folks (including myself) blame Marek's when it Leukosis??? A good reason to refrigerate and send a bird for necropsy!

I'm including a link with contact information for ALL state laboratories to make it easy for anyone (in the US) reading this who could use some answers via necropsy...
State poultry labs

Anyways, thank you for sharing your concern and reports. While I'm still planning to get my shipment... there's still time for this to rear it's ugly head some more. Horizontal diseases are the ones I most hope to avoid! I will continue following. Again, very sorry for your not only your loss but I'm sure the whole experience was/is a nightmare. :hugs

Thank you for the advice on not waiting to report. I did hear that NPIP isn't concerned about Leukosis, which is troubling. I am not at all concerned about where the coccidiosis came from as this is super common - which is why I didn't even bring that up as a concern, or put it in the heading, or highlight it in the reports. Although - I will say that I know it didn't come from the refrigerator box or the pine shavings :-D. It getting so bad in these chickens was purely the fault of our own ignorance as newer chicken farmers.

My advice to you on their birds would be 1) do some internet research on reviews. I have gotten the feedback from many people that there are an absolute ton of reviews about birds with these symptoms or confirmed mareks. 2) if you do go ahead with the order, keep their chickens completely separate from your own flock until AT LEAST 16 weeks of age - although the onset of leukosis per my vet can be as late as 6 mos of age.

Last edited:
Although I'm not going to jump on the 'tar and feather the chicken peddler" (ha) bandwagon, I've noticed that there's really no proof from your Internet friends, and coccodosis is from very unhealthy inviroments.
it could be that standards have dropped, sometimes well known companies, whether the product is any good or not, tend to drop the ball once they get popular. a bloating, thieving phone manufacturer comes to mind.
but anyway, I doubt this is the case.
dang, typing on mobiles is tedious, I've had to edit this like 5 times...

Three of the necropsy reports posted were from "my internet friends" and those reports contain confirmed Mareks, infectious bronchitis, and Mycoplasma (highlighted for convenience). This is a PSA only and looking for others who have had the same issues to try to create some accountability, not a solicitation for uninvested opinions. Also - if you spend hundreds to thousands building your flock from a rare breed supplier, I can assure you, you clean and disinfect your chicken coop and brooder.

NPIP is a good testing program, and what's tested varies by state. It was originally (and still) developed to find Mycoplasma pullorum, which was a huge problem formerly, and rarely seen now, thanks to this program. Here in Michigan, at least, it ONLY includes that pathogen, none others. It's up to the hatcheries to do more, and most are very interested in keeping these other very bad diseases from affecting their chicks!
I hope you can get your issues resolved, so sorry for your disasters.
Mary

There have to be other bodies that regulate commercial hatcheries I would think - within USDA or elsewhere. I thought NPIP just had the goal of improvement but I don't really know. If may come down to (like so many things) funding for additional staff and resources to expand. Thanks for the well-wishes.

State poultry labs

To address your question about the quarantine practice of her birds - she kept all her GFF birds together and separated from her overall flock.

State poultry labs

Hi! How did things turn out with your GFF order? I’m expecting mine soon and seeing lots of mixed reviews but I made the investment anyway.

I read this with interest since I believe some Greenfire stock is weak and more susceptible to disease. They acknowledge this possibility themselves on their website. One obvious reason is that many of their breeds are sourced from extremely limited gene pools. Another is that many of their breeds are very recent imports brought from countries that may have different strains of disease than we do in the US. Birds that are genetically weaker and don't have exposure to common local pathogens are less likely to be resistant to them. Deathlayers are a good example. I've heard so many stories about how hard they are to raise to adulthood. Greenfire did the work and paid the money to bring these new breeds to the US. Getting them established here is a whole other challenge.

I'm not sure how your necropsy results support your suspicion that the illnesses came from GFF. Marek's is not passed vertically through eggs and even if the parent flock was infected, chicks would hatch clean. Marek's is easily transmitted through airborne particles. It can be on your property even if you don't have other chickens and can travel from neighboring properties up to 3 miles away. It can make its way inside house on shoes, hair and clothing. By the time they reach adulthood, most chickens have been exposed.

You and the other person who got chicks at the same time both had sick birds but your necropsy results were different. Lymphoid leukosis and Marek's are similar but still distinct. They make infected birds very susceptible to other illnesses like coccidiosis, infectious bronchitis, and mycoplasma all of which are also very common. You also had some birds from Greenfire that didn't get sick. This isn't too surprising. There are many studies about Marek's susceptibility and resistance between breeds and individual lines.

You're right when you suggest it would be a scandal for Greenfire to be shipping sick chicks all over the country, but these necropsies don't prove what you seem to think they do. I've read posts here and other places. I've come to my own conclusion that working with imported breeds is a huge risk and not necessarily worth the expense involved in the initial purchase price which is also very high.

Back
Top Bottom