Mobile chicken coop

Burdoc

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2021
Hey everyone, I need advice on a mobile chicken coop that I’m doing. I’m trying to find a good size for the run part. Right now I have it at 4x12 feet so roughly 48 square feet and I have 6 chickens in total (I haven’t built anything yet) but right now I’m wondering how big should it be. Especially if I’m moving the coop once every 3 days and will be free ranging them in a safe area.

Is this their winter home too?

Does the plan include an enclosed coop for sleeping and nest boxes for laying?

I would go 6x12 if it were me.
Is this their winter home too?

Does the plan include an enclosed coop for sleeping and nest boxes for laying?

I would go 6x12 if it were me.
Yeah, it includes a inner coop too, basically I have a 4x4 inner coop that would also include a laying spot, however this inner coop would be off the ground so they’d have access to underneath too. I’m making a reclaimed coop out of pallet wood and just stuff I can scavenge. My delima is that I don’t want it to be too heavy or too long to where I can’t really drag it anywhere.

They get really heavy really quickly.

I was thinking a 12' long may be hard to keep flat as it's moved around too.
As you move it around any slope or lump can leave gaps under it.

If you get snow in winter or enough rain to make things muddy moving it would become even more difficult.

The idea of a chicken tractor I think is nice but I would still look very seriously at a stationary option as well.

Yeah, it includes a inner coop too, basically I have a 4x4 inner coop that would also include a laying spot, however this inner coop would be off the ground so they’d have access to underneath too. I’m making a reclaimed coop out of pallet wood and just stuff I can scavenge. My delima is that I don’t want it to be too heavy or too long to where I can’t really drag it
They get really heavy really quickly.

I was thinking a 12' long may be hard to keep flat as it's moved around too.
As you move it around any slope or lump can leave gaps under it.

If you get snow in winter or enough rain to make things muddy moving it would become even more difficult.

The idea of a chicken tractor I think is nice but I would still look very seriously at a stationary option as well.
I made a green house and a chicken coop out of pallets. Now I'm making a covered run out of pallets and scrap 2 x 4s . I gave up the idea of making a chicken tractor out of pallet wood because I can't make anything that don't weigh a ton.

Hey everyone, I need advice on a mobile chicken coop that I’m doing. I’m trying to find a good size for the run part. Right now I have it at 4x12 feet so roughly 48 square feet and I have 6 chickens in total (I haven’t built anything yet) but right now I’m wondering how big should it be. Especially if I’m moving the coop once every 3 days and will be free ranging them in a safe area.
I built my first tractor this year (4x8’). I had wanted to have just 1 large tractor but had to go with several smaller because the weight and uneven ground. Also still trying to come up with best skirt to prevent digging predators. I made my next tractor slightly smaller and tried to make it lighter. I now have 4 tractors and will eventually need a 5th. Also need to have food & water mounted to it.

I built my first tractor this year (4x8’). I had wanted to have just 1 large tractor but had to go with several smaller because the weight and uneven ground. Also still trying to come up with best skirt to prevent digging predators. I made my next tractor slightly smaller and tried to make it lighter. I now have 4 tractors and will eventually need a 5th. Also need to have food & water mounted to it.
Look up Justin Rhodes chicken tractor. Free downloadable plans. He is on youtube. I think he calls it a “chicksaw”
Very good mobile coop, easy to move, and lots of natural ventilation

Back
Top Bottom