Modern Bantams anyone?

Quote:
I have tried that link half a dozen times, it doesnt work...

You're right, it doesn't. I remember them changing their signature here while back, I will fix that.

Here is the right link - http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/index.cgi

Bob

thanks bob
smile.png

Any one have pics of their birchen chicks as they develop? This was my first year hatching MGB and they are out of a pair of birchens but the chicks don't look birchen. The first chick I hatch as developed a red face, the next two seem to have red on the wings, the last one just hatched last night so he's still all black.

I did read about crossing brown reds and birchen and wonder if my pair have brown red in their background and it's showing in their offspring. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I'll try and post pics this weekend.

the only difference between a birchen and a brown red is the birchen carries the silver gene, and the brown red carries the gold gene...crossing of those two colors as well as lemon blue and silver blue has been done plenty, the only problem you will run into is some of the male offspring will carry both genes, silver and gold, which will result in them having a light golden colored hackle, saddle, breast, etc....but you can take one of those and breed it back over a brown red or a birchen hen, and whatever color the pullets come out as they will be pure for....you would get some usable cockerels from them adn some not...that is all the gold duckwing is, a bb red crossed over a silver duckwing, he is carrying both silver and gold wings...

OK...this chick is just confusing to me. The feathers are coming in a red/black pattern on her wings. The tips of the wings are red while the rest of the feather is black. Some of these feathers have some type of red barring.

It's beautiful, just confusing.

barnie.gif
Thats it! Keep rubbing it in about your Mods when I can't find a single ~DECENT~ one to start off with! Just kidding! Keep it up I love hearing anything about them just keep my hopes up!

a lot of people have made crosses trying to improve type, improve color, or make a new color, and they will sell the culls or off colored ones as something else....you can cross a silver duckwing over a black and get a bird that looks birchen but it will not produce like one...you never know what you are getting until you breed from it....

Quote:
At least you are in the state and don't have to pay $150 to get a single bird across the border! There are only 3 breeders in Canada but luckily they have won most of the US shows!!!!!!!!! My bird is from the BEST stock here in beautiful Canada. I can't wait till summer so that I can get three hens...they are going to be costing me over $100 each!

Quote:
At least you are in the state and don't have to pay $150 to get a single bird across the border! There are only 3 breeders in Canada but luckily they have won most of the US shows!!!!!!!!! My bird is from the BEST stock here in beautiful Canada. I can't wait till summer so that I can get three hens...they are going to be costing me over $100 each!

They have won most of the US shows? You are going to have to explain that one, as far as I know they hardly even show in the US, they mostly judge shows.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom