Modern game bantams...

Quote:
There you go.
A good Modern is also sometimes said to have good reach.
A stilty bird tends to have it's thighs too far forward creating an out-of-balance appearance. They will often wobble when they streach upright.

Thanks! I didn't know any better.
Lemon Blue is not listed in my book as an accepted color --- would the standards for Brown Red MGB be the same? just with blue replacing black?
smile.png

Lisa

Quote:
Should be...

If I am not mistaken when breed for Lemon Blues you would breed a Brown Red to a Lemon Blue and you should get about 50% each color...
I also think that if you breed Lemon Blue to Lemon Blue you will get 25% Brown Reds, 50% Lemon Blues, 25% Splash. Then if you breed the Splash back to a Lemon Blue you will get 50% Lemon blue...

Chris

Since we are talking about the finer points of Modern game bantams.....

Lemon blue is a recognized variety, it may even have been approved before Brown red but don't quote me on that. There are 18 recognized varieties of Moderns (ABA).

Mr. Reds is right about using the word Stilty to describe Moderns because stilt legs are a disqualification. Reach is the proper way to describe that a modern should have long legs and Station is the way to describe the way a bird stands or expresses its style.

Yes, a modern should have long legs and that is what sets it apart from most breeds, but all things in balance. If you want a modern with just long legs and the longer the better for you, that fine. But a proper modern has long legs ( that are set in line with its neck and head), long neck ( with an arch in it) but it must also have a short body and short compact wings that are well tucked up. That is where most moderns fail- in the back and wings that are too long. Its feathers should be hard, close fitting and short. No long hackles or saddles.

There will be a pop test later..............

Bob

Quote:
Should be...

If I am not mistaken when breed for Lemon Blues you would breed a Brown Red to a Lemon Blue and you should get about 50% each color...
I also think that if you breed Lemon Blue to Lemon Blue you will get 25% Brown Reds, 50% Lemon Blues, 25% Splash. Then if you breed the Splash back to a Lemon Blue you will get 50% Lemon blue...

Chris

Yes, Lemon Blue, Silver Blue and Blue Red in Moderns all follow Mendel's law for Blue but only use Blacks and Splashes form Blue matings or the blue will be uneven. Most of the Brown Reds that come from my Lemon Blues are not much good for showing because of color faults ( Shafting in the breast lacing and Stippling on the back). Blue covers most of these color faults, but it is also why it is hard to get good lacing on a female. Especially in Silver Blues.

Bob

Hi, guys. I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm trying to get into the MGBs as well. I bought 4 hens last year and now I'm trying to get some that are better quality. Not having much luck right now, since I have one chick that hatched from one batch of eggs and only one developing in the next batch.
I also got one chick from Atwoods just cause I saw one in the tub. It's a splash.
12477_dsc04164.jpg

12477_three_girls.jpg

Here are my little hens.

I'm jumping into MGBs this year too. I am taking guardianship of my sisters birds for a little while, and I am taking advantage of a couple nice birchen roos to get my silver blues going.

Working on shortening the back, tightening the wings, and getting that nice full smooth bottom line--working on just about everything I guess...
tongue.png

I wish I could get my hands on some modern hatching eggs. I can hardly find anyone that has any. And I hear there are LF Moderns, but have yet to meet anyone with those. I love the way these birds look.

Back
Top Bottom