Modern game bantams...

Pics

IggiMom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
West Virginia
I got my little Moderns from Ideal, which is the only place I could find them. Oh, they are so cute, and friendly, too. I got lemon blues. They do not breed true, so I have some lemon blues, some black, and some splash.

But all cute.

They do not really stand upright, so I am hoping that they do this more when they get older. But they do have long legs, they are like little fluff balls on stilts.

I am making them a special little coop of their own, so I can breed some for myself.

I wish I could find someone else who has them also.

Catherine

Bumbing up this thread!

MGB are hard to find where I am due to no hatcheries so I had to source a breeder, but thankfully after a year of looking I'm picking up 5 chicks in the coming days to put under one of my broody hens. I was told they are 2 Birchen and 3 golden duckwing . One did need little shoes for crooked toes after having issues getting out the egg, but these will purely be pets as I get to know this breed so I'm not concerned with that
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Quote:
What should I call it instead of stilty?

I thought they were supposed to be sort of leggy and stand upright?

The little guys are not really upright, not yet, but more so than my other chicks.

Catherine

I think that the term would be High Stationed. I could be wrong but I think that would be the correct term for a Long Legged bird ...

Chris

Since we are talking about the finer points of Modern game bantams.....

Lemon blue is a recognized variety, it may even have been approved before Brown red but don't quote me on that. There are 18 recognized varieties of Moderns (ABA).

Mr. Reds is right about using the word Stilty to describe Moderns because stilt legs are a disqualification. Reach is the proper way to describe that a modern should have long legs and Station is the way to describe the way a bird stands or expresses its style.

Yes, a modern should have long legs and that is what sets it apart from most breeds, but all things in balance. If you want a modern with just long legs and the longer the better for you, that fine. But a proper modern has long legs ( that are set in line with its neck and head), long neck ( with an arch in it) but it must also have a short body and short compact wings that are well tucked up. That is where most moderns fail- in the back and wings that are too long. Its feathers should be hard, close fitting and short. No long hackles or saddles.

There will be a pop test later..............

Bob

Hi, guys. I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm trying to get into the MGBs as well. I bought 4 hens last year and now I'm trying to get some that are better quality. Not having much luck right now, since I have one chick that hatched from one batch of eggs and only one developing in the next batch.
I also got one chick from Atwoods just cause I saw one in the tub. It's a splash.
12477_dsc04164.jpg

12477_three_girls.jpg

Here are my little hens.

Quote:
I would recommend Modern Games to almost anyone. Many children use them for showing because of the small size. I'll list what I consider the pros and cons of Moderns:
Pros:
Small size
Fun personality
Easy to train for showing
Don't consume large amounts of feed

Cons:
Need to be kept fairly warm in Winter (Mine do fine in an insulated coop with no extra heat, but it only gets down in the 20's here.)
Occasionally the roosters are mean (I've had two roos. One would attack my leg, but not ever peck me when held.)
Not good layers
Have to be dubbed for showing. It's not pretty.

I would say if she wants them, they would be great for her! My 7 year old son shows them. He used his rooster last year in showmanship competition and won first place.
Just my opinion, but I love the Lemon Blues.

Last edited:
I know this is off topic...but I live in Az and was curious to see if anyone knew a good breeder with upcoming chicks for sale...I have tried Ideal but there is a year waiting list for all their moderns...thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom