Modern game bantams...

Pics
Is this really true? Someone earlier on the thread said they die below 30F without heat... could they survive a WI winter?

I just came in from the barn & all the Moderns seemed to be alive. It was down to single digits here last week. I have a friend up near the Canadian border where it gets seriously cold-he raises nothing but Modern Game Bantams. Why on earth would I have said they do fine in winter if they didn't?
I don't know who it was that said they die below 30 degrees F but they absolutely don't know what they're talking about. Why would you be so willing to accept what they said? was it someone with a great deal more experience than I have?

I was just commenting on that if you look back through this thread there are very mixed opinions of how well they do in cold . I have no idea how much exsperience you are anyone else has, or whose word is better to take, I was just wondering.

How cold have you seen them and still be happy?

Are you asking if I was happ or if the chickens were happy? It's a little hard to tell from your question. Personally, I'm seldom happy when it gets cold. As to the chickens I'm not sure how a chicken expresses happiness.
That said I'll repeat what I posted earlier. Here in upstate NY it sometimes gets down to 30 below zero & my Modern Game Bantams do fine in an unheated barn. As long as they're dry & free of drafts they handle cold as well as any other breed.

I was just commenting on that if you look back through this thread there are very mixed opinions of how well they do in cold . I have no idea how much exsperience you are anyone else has, or whose word is better to take, I was just wondering.

Oh, is that all. it somehow sounded like you were calling me a liar. What does "Is that true" mean where you come from?

ps-read my signature line-unless you think that's a lie too

Last edited:
Are you asking if I was happy or if the chickens were happy? It's a little hard to tell from your question. Personally, I'm seldom happy when it gets cold. As to the chickens I'm not sure how a chicken expresses happiness.
That said I'll repeat what I posted earlier. Here in upstate NY it sometimes gets down to 30 below zero & my Modern Game Bantams do fine in an unheated barn. As long as they're dry & free of drafts they handle cold as well as any other breed.
Since the conversation was about chickens, it was assumed that the question would also be about them. But I'm sorry you don't like the cold.

Repeating what you said doesn't really answer the question I had. With your extensive professional experience, I assumed you'd be able to elaborate. I don't just want my chickens to survive, I'd like for them to have good lives. The alternative is keeping them inside during the winter, so I was curious.

Since the conversation was about chickens, it was assumed that the question would also be about them. But I'm sorry you don't like the cold.

Repeating what you said doesn't really answer the question I had. With your extensive professional experience, I assumed you'd be able to elaborate. I don't just want my chickens to survive, I'd like for them to have good lives. The alternative is keeping them inside during the winter, so I was curious.
What would you like in the way of elaboration? I've raised Modern Game Bantams for about 20 years. Thay're kept in an unheated barn. Winter temperatures here sometimes fall to 30 degrees below zero. The Modern Game Bantams handle those temperatures just fine. They remain active, they eat well, they do not suffer illness of cold related injury [eg: frozen combs on undubbed males; frozen toes, etc] In some cases they have even laid although I don't push them to produce in the winter as I don't hatch them then. I'm not sure what else I could tell you since I still have no idea how chickens express happiness-if the do.
If you wrote more clearly I probably would have understood your question better.

What would you like in the way of elaboration? I've raised Modern Game Bantams for about 20 years. Thay're kept in an unheated barn. Winter temperatures here sometimes fall to 30 degrees below zero. The Modern Game Bantams handle those temperatures just fine. They remain active, they eat well, they do not suffer illness of cold related injury [eg: frozen combs on undubbed males; frozen toes, etc] In some cases they have even laid although I don't push them to produce in the winter as I don't hatch them then. I'm not sure what else I could tell you since I still have no idea how chickens express happiness-if the do.
If you wrote more clearly I probably would have understood your question better.
Good to know. Thanks for the information.
Didn't know there was such a need for correct grammar on a chicken forum. I'll take that into account next time I write a question.

Good to know. Thanks for the information.
Didn't know there was such a need for correct grammar on a chicken forum. I'll take that into account next time I write a question.
Just because it's a "chicken forum" doesn't mean that grammar can fall the wayside. After all, we do not have the inflection of tone that helps discern what someone is saying, so the written word helps to get your point across.

NYREDS has vastly more experience than I in any breed...really ever, so I would be more than happy to listen and learn. From what I saw, the little guys were good at living quite well in the cold.

I couldnt get my modern game inspected by vet for congress she is from tom anderson of nc if anyone would like to see her pm me i could bring her to congress and hide her under table i know ny reds wanted to see her shes a bbr

Back
Top Bottom