Modern game bantams...

Pics
Can anyone tell me what happened here?
This is the photo the seller used to advertise his birds.
There is a black birchen way in the back there.

These are what I hatched out...

Don't get me wrong the birds I hatched are very pretty and I love them regardless but is there yellow missing from my birds versus the sellers photo? If I breed my birds will the offspring have yellow?

On another note. Why does this happen every time I use my incubator?

There is always one that develops and never makes it. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Looks like the seller had Silver Blues which are made by crossing Blue and Birchen. I think if you breed the Silver Blues together, you will get some Birchen, some Silver Blue and some blue. Your cockerel may develop more yellow in his hackles as he ages.

As far as the chicks hatching, I have had this problem with Moderns a lot. My hatching percentages with them has been dismal in the past. Even under a broody hen, I will have some chicks that don't hatch. I have tried many adjustments in humidity and ventilation in the incubator with little improvement. I hope someone else can give you some advice. If you're only getting one chick in every batch that doesn't hatch, though, I would say that is pretty normal.

Juliechick-- May I ask what temperature and humidity settings you use to hatch yours. I got more eggs comeing in the mail from a different seller on ebay and I want this hatch to go smoothly. ( I forgot what I had my settings as I used) it's been about a year since I hatched MGB.
Also another question. I noticed in some pictures other people post there are multiple roosters together "not fighting". With this breed is this possible? To have like 2 or 3 roosters in one pen and everyone behaves themselves?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I hatched a set of 6 Brown Red Mods about a month ago. Unless they are some late bloomers, looks like they are all pullets! What are the odds?

PeppermintHen, I would try humidity of about 43-45% during incubation. Keep the plug out of the incubator for ventilation. I wouldn't raise the humidity much at all during hatch unless you see that they are drying out.

I have kept young roosters together as they're growing up and they don't fight much. I wouldn't introduce a new rooster, though. And, I would keep an eye on them as they get older. They may take a mind to fight it out at some point.

Good luck with your eggs.

Last edited:
I am going to have a batch of hatching eggs to sell soon. If anyone is interested, please PM me. They would be a mixed batch of Brown Red, BB Red. (Mixed batch of eggs, NOT mixed colors.) I also have Self Blue d'Anvers eggs.

No, they are both show quality. They have the correct leg color. $12 for 6 plus shipping. I think the shipping is $6-$10 depending on where you live.

Back
Top Bottom