Modifying API - Heated Poultry Waterer, 3 Gallon

Aug 20, 2022
We have this water container for our 3 girls. It works well to keep the water from freezing (a big concern in Minnesota) but I hate that I have to fill it from the bottom and flip it over. Any suggestions on how to modify it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230222_184327_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230222_184327_Firefox.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 45
I also have one of these. I flip it over to remove the reservoir from the run each night (leaving the base). I then fill and return it to the run in the morning. I have no "fill" ideas, but am interested. My problem with the waterer is the cord plastic has broke/separated up close to where the cord goes into the base. I've put electrical tape on it, although it's not staying since there is very little cord available before going into the base.

I also have one of these. I flip it over to remove the reservoir from the run each night (leaving the base). I then fill and return it to the run in the morning. I have no "fill" ideas, but am interested. My problem with the waterer is the cord plastic has broke/separated up close to where the cord goes into the base. I've put electrical tape on it, although it's not staying since there is very little cord available before going into the base.
How long have you had it before the cord went? It's our first winter with it

This is our first winter with it. I probably switched to it, from the non heated waters, in October or November. I noticed the cord issue last weekend.
Hmmm, good to know. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. We have the waterer and the cord elevated because they kicked sand and straw into it otherwise

Attachments

• 20230226_080025.jpg
    20230226_080025.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 14
Hmmm, good to know. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. We have the waterer and the cord elevated because they kicked sand and straw into it otherwise
I would refrain from using any heated water source - especially if it is anywhere near straw or wall of coop. I had 2 of the heated water bowls -- one inside the coop and one in the pen. They worked ok the first year. Shortly into the 2nd winter BOTH of the bowls melted on the bottom where the heating element is. I am so glad that I noticed this before it caused a fire. I still use the bowls, but cut the cords off.

These were the Farm Innovators bowls sole at many farm stores.

Attachments

• heated water bowl.jpg
    heated water bowl.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 9
  • heated water bowl2.jpg
    heated water bowl2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 13
I hate that I have to fill it from the bottom and flip it over. Any suggestions on how to modify it?

Because of the way that style of waterer works, I do not think it can be modified.

The waterer has to be airtight when it is right side up, or else all the water will run out at once (instead of filling the little trough slowly as the chickens drink it up.)

If you make any kind of opening at the top to fill it, it will not be airtight. Even if it had an airtight cap, it would still leak large amounts out the bottom while you have it open to add water at the top.

I think the only way to have a top-fill waterer is to have a different style. Maybe you can find a suitable waterer, and then a separate heating unit to sit it on?

I have seen photos of a style of plastic waterer that looks similar to yours, but has a big cap on the top to unscrew and add water. I've never personally tried it, because I read too many reviews saying that if you screw it tight enough to seal, it is hard to unscrew (and if it doesn't seal, the water all flows out the bottom instead of just filling the trough.)

I have used a style of waterer that also looks similar to yours but is made of metal, that has a double-layer upper section. The outer layer that lifts off, and a little piece inside blocks water from coming out until you put that outer cover back on. I have only seen them in fairly large sizes (3+ gallons), but in my experience they worked fairly well.

Some people use a bucket with nipples that stick out for the chickens to drink from. I think that style can also be filled from the top.

(My only personal experience with waterers is with the metal kind that has a lift-off top, the plastic kind that has to be flipped upside down to fill, and open-top dishes. They can each work well in some situations, but of course each has some disadvantages too. For other kinds of waterers, I only know what I have learned by reading about them.)

I did have a heated nipple waterer. It is top fill and easier to use. But, I couldn't train all the chickens to use it. Gave it to a friend and replaced with this other one. I will probably start looking for a metal double wall waterer and a heater plate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-26-18-57-42-886.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-26-18-57-42-886.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 16
I would refrain from using any heated water source - especially if it is anywhere near straw or wall of coop. I had 2 of the heated water bowls -- one inside the coop and one in the pen. They worked ok the first year. Shortly into the 2nd winter BOTH of the bowls melted on the bottom where the heating element is. I am so glad that I noticed this before it caused a fire. I still use the bowls, but cut the cords off.

These were the Farm Innovators bowls sole at many farm stores.
Thanks for the tip. I live in Minnesota though, so heated water feels like the best answer. It's mostly dirt under the water, but I'll make sure to keep it more clear of straw.
What do you use instead of heat to keep it from freezing?

Because of the way that style of waterer works, I do not think it can be modified.

The waterer has to be airtight when it is right side up, or else all the water will run out at once (instead of filling the little trough slowly as the chickens drink it up.)

If you make any kind of opening at the top to fill it, it will not be airtight. Even if it had an airtight cap, it would still leak large amounts out the bottom while you have it open to add water at the top.

I think the only way to have a top-fill waterer is to have a different style. Maybe you can find a suitable waterer, and then a separate heating unit to sit it on?

I have seen photos of a style of plastic waterer that looks similar to yours, but has a big cap on the top to unscrew and add water. I've never personally tried it, because I read too many reviews saying that if you screw it tight enough to seal, it is hard to unscrew (and if it doesn't seal, the water all flows out the bottom instead of just filling the trough.)

I have used a style of waterer that also looks similar to yours but is made of metal, that has a double-layer upper section. The outer layer that lifts off, and a little piece inside blocks water from coming out until you put that outer cover back on. I have only seen them in fairly large sizes (3+ gallons), but in my experience they worked fairly well.

Some people use a bucket with nipples that stick out for the chickens to drink from. I think that style can also be filled from the top.

(My only personal experience with waterers is with the metal kind that has a lift-off top, the plastic kind that has to be flipped upside down to fill, and open-top dishes. They can each work well in some situations, but of course each has some disadvantages too. For other kinds of waterers, I only know what I have learned by reading about them.)
Ooooo. That's a very good point. We were close to just cutting a hole in the top.

It sounds like it might be important for me to look into a different water solution next year :/

Back
Top Bottom