Molasses flushing?....Sick chicks becoming worse! :( Need help ASAP!

Corid might not be as expensive as I remembered. I wouldn't just write it off without checking on prices. I saw it online for 13.00.

I hope your chicks get better. If it is cocci it would most likely be affecting only your young chicks.

77horses--Are we understanding correctly that your chicks are about 4 weeks old now?
Does anyone know at what specific age range chicks are generally most vulnerable to cocci?

Last edited:
According to the Merck Veterinary Manual:
"Coccidiosis is caused by protozoa of the phylum Apicomplexa, family Eimeriidae. In poultry, most species belong to the genus Eimeria and infect various sites in the intestine. The infectious process is rapid (4-7 days) "

There doesn't seem much point to continuing this discussion. The OP has already explained that she cannot afford the medicine to treat these birds for cocci, so I think that pretty much makes any further speculation or advice useless.

Last edited:
If you can find some unpastuerized apple cider vinegar to put into their water, this is a great immune system booster and will help develop good yeast/fungus in the intestinal tract of these birds. You might also try a natural antifungal called Olive Leaf Extract...costs about $5 for a big bottle at any health store. This stuff works wonders for my boy, who has a tendency to develop yeast infections in his nasal passages.

Both of these things will not hurt your chicks in any way and can only help.

I know this issue came up on some earlier posts, but I just want to comment that according to the AVMA guidelines on euthanasia, hypothermia (freezing) is NOT considered an appropriate method of euthanasia and is not considered humane unless the animal is anesthetized prior to freezing. It is unknown whether hypothermia reduces sensibility & the formation of ice crystals may be associated with pain. Karen

UPDATE: I went ahead and bought the Corid. It only cost $17.85 which wasn't too bad.
thumbsup.gif
I'll just need to earn a lot of allowance money back by doing lots of chores around the house!
roll.png

So now comes the confusing part...figuring out how much Corid to put in about a one-gallon waterer that the chicks drink from. Can someone help with this?

Here's exactly what the label on the Corid bottle says:

*front of label*= "CORID (amprolium)- 9.6% Oral Solution Coccidiostat".............*back of label*="Indication: An aid in the treatment and prevention of coccidiosis caused by Eimeria bovis and E. zurnii in calves. For a satisfactory diagnosis a microscopic examination of the feces should be done before treatment. When treating outbreaks, drug should be administered promptly after diagnosis is determined."
----------------
"DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION: 5-Day Treatment Protocol
Daily Dosage: 10mg amprolium/kg
(10mg per 2.2lb body weight)"

--------
"21-Day Prevention Protocol
Daily Dosage: 5mg amprolium/kg
(5mg per 2.2lb body weight)"

USE DIRECTIONS: There are 96mg of amprolium in every 1mL of CORID 9.6% Solution.

1 fl oz= 29.57mL 8 fl oz= 1/2 pint (236.56 mL)
1 fl oz= 2 measuring tablespoons 16 fl oz= 1 pint (473.12 mL)

IN DRINKING WATER:
Mix CORID daily in fresh drinking water.
5-DAY TREATMENT: Add CORID 9.6% Oral Solution to drinking water at the rate of 16 fl oz/100gal. At the usual rate of water consumption this will provide an intake of approximately 10mg amprolium/kg (2.2lb) body weight. Offer this solution as the only source of water for 5 days. Use on a herd basis only; when one or more calves show signs of coccidiosis, it is likely that the rest of the group has been exposed, and all calves in the group should be treated.

21-DAY PREVENTION: During the periods of exposure or when experience indicates that coccidiosis is likely to be a hazard, add CORID 9.6% Oral Solution to drinking water at the rate of 8 fl oz/100 gal. At usual rates of water consumption this will provide an intake of approximately 5mg amprolium/kg (2.2 lb) body weight. Offer this solution as the only source of water for 21 days."

------
Then there's a bunch of information about using as a "drench" and it says "Benzoic acid 0.1% added" ......
hmm.png

So......If I have a flock of chickens containing three 4-5 week old chicks, an almost 2-year-old Bantam hen, and a less-than-1-year-old rooster, and they all share a waterer than can hold about 1-gallon of water, how much CORID do I give to them and how long do I give it to them? Do I just add the certain amount of CORID to their waterer once and let them drink it for the certain period of time? Or do I add the certain amount and change the water everyday and re-add the certain amount everyday when I change the water?

Thanks!

Also, I almost forgot to let you know that the youngest baby chick and all the other chicks actually seem a little perkier today. The youngest is keeping her eyes open more and walking around more, and they all are eating and drinking enthusiastically. I haven't done any treatment at all yet, so I'm glad they're still holding on until I can give them the CORID treatment.
fl.gif

It says that they believe it's for adult, standard birds. So would it not be safe to give this dosage to the whole flock when there's a Bantam (not standard!) hen and three 4-5 week old chicks? The Bantam hen is the only "adult" in the flock, since the rooster is still under one year old of age...

Last edited:
Treat them all at the rate of 2 tsp. per gallon of water. Do not eat any eggs you get from your older chickens during the treatment. I would treat for at least 6 days at that dosage. Since you only have a few chickens and chicks, I would make up one quart at a time (1/2 tsp. of corid per quart) and completely change out the water daily with a fresh dose of corid. If you find you are wasting too much, make up 1/2 quart at a time with 1/4 tsp. of the corid. Keep the chicks on medicated feed until about 4 months old. I believe the preventative dose is 1/2 tsp per gallon - someone help me with that. You might want to do this at 3 week intervals until the chicks build up some immunity.

Quote:
OK so basically add 2 tps. of CORID to a gallon of water to treat the whole flock of chickens (all the chicks plus older chickens). And change it everyday? Am I right?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, if you have enough chickens that they are going to drink a gallon a day. Otherwise, mix smaller amounts so you don't waste so much medicated water. Go do it now
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom