molting but not eating

Gardenpig

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
OC
I think my chickens are molting but they don't seem to be eating or drinking anything.
hmm.png
Is this normal for molting? Also they stopped laying eggs...any help would be great. Thank you!

I noticed mine ate less while molting, and dropped a bit of weight. I started mixing their feed into scrambled eggs (mixed and then cooked). They loved it! This gave a nice protein boost and got them through it. I did not notice decreased water consumption though. You could add some electrolytes to maintain hydration.

oh ok...i'm getting worried because their water is the same as i saw it yesterday...
sad.png
can i force them to drink it?

You can try dripping water on the side of their beak and letting them take it in, or even dipping the tip of the beak to get them started. Is it possible there are also lice/mites present, or some other problem going on as well? Any chance the feed isn't up to par, that it got wet, or wasn't fresh when you bought it? This does sound like a really bad reaction to molting, if nothing else. I know it does make them uncomfortable.

One way or another, I'd work at getting them to eat and drink, and probably add a supplement to the water, maybe a little Poly Vi Sol or other vitamins / electrolytes (also sold at most feed stores.) Attractive, nutritious snacks like scrambled eggs are a good idea, too. I wish you luck.

Hi my chicken is molting and she is not eating a lot. Some lettuce, some worms and yogurth and water. But that is all. She is more frightened than usual.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom