Molting, but now there is some blood.

It actually doesn't matter, from my research. It's a myth that unfortunately started when someone on here had a bird attacked and badly wounded (lost a leg, I think) the member used pain relief neosporin but the bird died. It very likely diet of shock and blood loss.
Now, birds are more sensitive to being put under for surgery but most topical pain relievers won't even bother them, in fact they have a higher resistance to lidocaine than we do.
But since the non pain relieving ointment is easier to get, that's fine since she's not in pain. I'd pick the non pain relieving kind anyway.
Ok, thank you.

Yesterday I posted about our hens losing feathers. One especially has lost them around her neck. The replies say they are molting, but I just saw the one hen molting on her neck has some dried blood on it. Are they pecking her because she is molting? What can I do?

Here is yesterday’s thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/losing-feathers-please-help.1609564/

View attachment 3731340
She's growing in some new feathers, but it also looks like she's suffered some feather picking too.
In your Other Thread, you posted a photo (below) which clearly shows some broken and picked feathers.
So, you have some feather picking going on, your hen(s) picked at the one above, discovered a blood feather perhaps and started picking a bit harder.

Wash off all the blood from her feathers, if it's cold, then Peroxide on the feathers will wipe the majority of it out fairly quickly.
I'd use Pine Tar to cover the new pin feather and wound, this will help deter picking, will help heal the wound and hopefully she can feather back in before they pick out the rest.

1705985751157.png

I'd use Pine Tar to cover the new pin feather and wound, this will help deter picking, will help heal the wound and hopefully she can feather back in before they pick out the rest.
Where can I find pine tar? Is there anything else I can use?
I have heard of "Blue-Kote" for wounds, is that safe to use on chickens?

18% is the minimum I have my flock, I'd see if they have chick, gamebird or meatbird feed, or and all flock. 20%
I bought the new feed last night. Meat bird, 22% protein. This morning I gave the flock a treat mix with scrambled eggs, oats, sunflower seeds, and a tiny bit of peanut butter, in a mash made with their new feed.

Where can I find pine tar? Is there anything else I can use?
I have heard of "Blue-Kote" for wounds, is that safe to use on chickens?
You can use BluKote if you wish, it is a good antiseptic for minor wounds. As for a deterrent, I've found that it usually attracts attention.

Watch to see if the others are still picking at her. You've got a picking problem.
Feed might solve some of the issues, but not always. Space often resolves some of the issues, but not always.

Watch to see if the others are still picking at her. You've got a picking problem.
Feed might solve some of the issues, but not always. Space often resolves some of the issues, but not always.
The top hen ran at her yesterday, but didn’t pluck any feathers out. She is towards the bottom of the pecking order, which I think is partly why she is getting picked on.
This morning another hen ran at her as well, but didn’t pluck any feathers because I intervened.
There has been snow on the ground for the last week or so, and the flock has not gotten to free range; they used to be able to every day. I think they are just bored and stressed with the molt.

Here she is today:
IMG_1621.jpeg

She's feathering back in nicely, hopefully they won't pluck those out.

For boredom busters, adding some straw or raked up leaves gives them something to dig through. A small amount of scratch or treats scattered/thrown into the leaves/straws, keeps them busy hunting.

Hang a cabbage or a couple of apples for them to pick at. I hang a cabbage like a tether ball and they will focus working on that instead of fussing with one another.

Having addition feed stations can also help.

Being stuck "inside" when they are used to wandering about a little, can definitely add to the stress level, hopefully the snow will melt soon.

Back
Top Bottom